1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional inelastic collision; bullet through block.

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure here, a 12.8 g bullet moving directly upward at 930 m/s strikes and passes through the center of mass of a 8.3 kg block initially at rest. The bullet emerges from the block moving directly upward at 520 m/s. To what maximum height does the block then rise above its initial position?

20150707_211326_zpsglwxmosy.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

3. The attempt at a solution
    20150707_210809_zpsywi6ntir.jpg
    not sure where i went wrong with this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Velocity for block is correct.

Bad algebra in solving for y-y0 .

4. Jul 7, 2015 #3

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Instead of y-y0 I will call it h and instead of a, I will call it g.

You wrote the equation v2=2gh... good so far... but then you wrote h=v2-2g :confused:

5. Jul 7, 2015 #4
    I need to take an algebra class, again.

6. Jul 7, 2015 #5
    why is g positive in this problem? because the bullet is fired straight up and so the accerleration of g is -9.8m/s/s. I can see it works out in the equation for it to be positive, i just dont know the reason why.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. Jul 7, 2015 #6
    Thank you

8. Jul 7, 2015 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So I'm assuming that you resolved the above question, because of your following post.
    It may be helpful to you and us, if you could learn to use the edit feature and/or the delete feature to alter or to remove a post like Post #5.

9. Jul 7, 2015 #8
    Sure, i didnt know about the delete feature. I'll edit it above.

10. Jul 7, 2015 #9

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Because it is really Vf (which you called V) that is zero, and the V0 is what is 0.6323. So g would be negative but you would also have to subtract V02 over to the other side and then the negative sign would cancel out.

11. Jul 7, 2015 #10
    Ok, i think i get it now because the problem is treated as two problems and the v_f i got from the first problem becomes v0 in the next. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted