1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: One Dimensional Kinematics Problem

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How far has the motorcycle traveled, when it catches the ferarri?
    A ferrari speeding at a constant 35m/s passes a police officer at rest. 2.0 s later, the officer accelerates in pursuit at 6.5 m/s^2. How far has the motorcycle traveled, when it catches the ferarri?
    I know the d=vt for the ferarri and d=1/2at^2 for the police, but what is throwing me off is the 2.0 seconds later part. Help please!

2. Relevant equations
    d=vt for the ferarri
    d=1/2at2 for the police

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set vt=1/2at2
    solved for t and got t=2v/a=12.769 I thought I could just add the two seconds to it, but that is wrong..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

n92

You're solving for the distance the motorcycle travelled, I think in this case time is only needed to find the car's velocity. You should have all the information needed to find displacement.

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

solve for displacement.

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    But i'm not given a final velocity. The answer turns out to be 507m I just do not know how.. I know that I have to set two equations equal to each other though

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook