One Dimensional Kinematics Question (Simple)

In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling along the x-axis with constant acceleration. From the given information, we can calculate its displacement and average velocity during specific time intervals. The value of t when the object's velocity is equal to its average velocity during the first time interval is 3 seconds. To fill in the remaining values in the chart, we can use a kinematics equation that relates displacement and time for constant acceleration motion.
PanChan89

Homework Statement

1. A ball is rolling along the x-axis. At t=2s it is located at x =6m, at t=4s it is at x=16m, and at t=8s it is at x=48 m. Assume Constant acceleration.

a) Find its displacement from 2s to 4s. -- I put 10m
b) find its average velocity from 2s to 4s.---- 5 m/s
c) find its average velocity from 4s to 8s. ----8m/s
d) what is t when the objects velocity is equal to its average velocity during the first time interval. --- t= 3 seconds.

and a fill in chart...

Tj is the time at which the jth video frame is captured. The position xj is the position of the steel ball in the jth frame (the data is taken at 30 times per second).

j tj(s) xj (m)
1 0.0333 s 0.0250 m
2 0.0667 s 0.0820 m
3 0.1000 s 0.130 m
4 Unknown 0.164 m
5 Unknown 0.190 m

I need help filling out the Tj's for J4 and J5. I have no idea where to start.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If someone can also explain how to do D in the first portion I would appreciate it, I'm mainly having problems with the chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PanChan89 said:

Homework Statement

1. A ball is rolling along the x-axis. At t=2s it is located at x =6m, at t=4s it is at x=16m, and at t=8s it is at x=48 m. Assume Constant acceleration.

a) Find its displacement from 2s to 4s. -- I put 10m
b) find its average velocity from 2s to 4s.---- 5 m/s
c) find its average velocity from 4s to 8s. ----8m/s
d) what is t when the objects velocity is equal to its average velocity during the first time interval. --- t= 3 seconds.

and a fill in chart...

Tj is the time at which the jth video frame is captured. The position xj is the position of the steel ball in the jth frame (the data is taken at 30 times per second).

j tj(s) xj (m)
1 0.0333 s 0.0250 m
2 0.0667 s 0.0820 m
3 0.1000 s 0.130 m
4 Unknown 0.164 m
5 Unknown 0.190 m

I need help filling out the Tj's for J4 and J5. I have no idea where to start.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If someone can also explain how to do D in the first portion I would appreciate it, I'm mainly having problems with the chart.
Welcome to Physics Forums.
You're answer for (d) is correct.
As for the chart, there is a kinematics equation (one of the equations dealing with constant acceleration motion) which gives the displacement as a function of time. That will be useful here.

What is one-dimensional kinematics?

One-dimensional kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a single straight line. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the three basic equations of one-dimensional kinematics?

The three basic equations of one-dimensional kinematics are:

- x = x0 + v0t + 1/2 at2

- v = v0 + at

- v2 = v02 + 2a(x - x0)

How do you calculate displacement in one-dimensional kinematics?

Displacement in one-dimensional kinematics is calculated by subtracting the initial position (x0) from the final position (x).

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In one-dimensional kinematics, velocity is often represented as a signed value, with positive values indicating motion in one direction and negative values indicating motion in the opposite direction.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion in one-dimensional kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. If an object has a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount every second. This can result in the object speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction. If an object has a zero acceleration, its velocity will remain constant and it will continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line.