One Dimensional Kinematics of Object

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the average velocity of an object released from rest at a height h and traveling 0.31h during the first second of its descent. The equations X - Xo = Vot + .5at^2, v^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo), and X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t are mentioned, but the person is unsure of how to approach the problem. A suggestion is made to determine the initial height of the object by using the known distance traveled in one second and the acceleration due to gravity.
dbzheir

Homework Statement

An object is released from rest at a height h. It travels 0.31h during the first second of its descent. Determine the average velocity of the object during its entire descent.

Homework Equations

X - Xo = Vot + .5at^2
v^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)
X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically have no idea where to start.
.31/1 = .31 m/s is the velocity in the first second, but that is not the initial velocity, which is 0.
h = .5(0+Vf)t = .5Vf*t, but I have no idea how one would get a numerical answer, which is what I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps try figuring out what the height actually is to begin with. How far does any object fall under the influence of gravity in 1 second? You are told that this distance is 31% of the total distance, so to what height was it raised? See if you can work from there.

I love you.
Sorry for being an idiot, that's what always gets me.

1. What is one-dimensional kinematics of an object?

One-dimensional kinematics of an object is the study of the motion of an object along a straight line, without considering the forces that may cause the motion.

2. What are the basic equations used in one-dimensional kinematics?

The basic equations used in one-dimensional kinematics are the equations of motion, which include displacement (Δx = xf - xi), velocity (v = Δx/Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt).

3. How is velocity different from speed in one-dimensional kinematics?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the magnitude of an object's motion.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time, which can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position function.

5. How is acceleration related to the slope of a velocity-time graph?

Acceleration is equal to the slope of a velocity-time graph, as acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration.