1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Dimensional Kinematics: Force

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1

TG3

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A .3 kg ball is compressed a maximum of 0.6 cm when it strikes the floor at 9.29 m/s. Assuming acceleration is constant, what is the force the ball exerts on the floor?

2. Relevant equations

vf^2 = v0^2 + 2A(x-x0)
    Once I find A it will be easy, since
    F=MA

3. The attempt at a solution

0^2 = 9.29^2 + 2A (.006)
    0 = 86.3041 + .012 A
    -86.3041= .012A
    -7192= A
    F=MA
    F=.3 (-7192)
    F= -2157
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

That looks good to me! You have assumed constant acceleration, which probably isn't really right but which is probably a standard assumption in your course.

I actually did it a different way. I made a sketch of a v vs t graph, a straight line going from 9.29 at time 0 to zero at time t. The area under a v vs t graph is the distance .006. Using the area formula I was able to find the time t it takes for the ball to compress and stop. Then I used the idea that the slope on the v vs t graph is the acceleration. I got the same answer you have.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3

TG3

I found the "correct" answer: the computer wanted me to add the force due to gravity (.3 x 9.81) to the force exerted by the floor. This seems a bit conceptually shaky to me, but the computer said that was the correct answer. For my own future knowledge: is it, or was my first answer correct?

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Oh dear, the computer is right! I forgot about the weight. Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?