Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: One Dimensional Kinematics: Force

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1

TG3

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A .3 kg ball is compressed a maximum of 0.6 cm when it strikes the floor at 9.29 m/s. Assuming acceleration is constant, what is the force the ball exerts on the floor?

2. Relevant equations

vf^2 = v0^2 + 2A(x-x0)
    Once I find A it will be easy, since
    F=MA

3. The attempt at a solution

0^2 = 9.29^2 + 2A (.006)
    0 = 86.3041 + .012 A
    -86.3041= .012A
    -7192= A
    F=MA
    F=.3 (-7192)
    F= -2157
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

That looks good to me! You have assumed constant acceleration, which probably isn't really right but which is probably a standard assumption in your course.

I actually did it a different way. I made a sketch of a v vs t graph, a straight line going from 9.29 at time 0 to zero at time t. The area under a v vs t graph is the distance .006. Using the area formula I was able to find the time t it takes for the ball to compress and stop. Then I used the idea that the slope on the v vs t graph is the acceleration. I got the same answer you have.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3

TG3

I found the "correct" answer: the computer wanted me to add the force due to gravity (.3 x 9.81) to the force exerted by the floor. This seems a bit conceptually shaky to me, but the computer said that was the correct answer. For my own future knowledge: is it, or was my first answer correct?

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Oh dear, the computer is right! I forgot about the weight. Sorry.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook