1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One point compactification of the positive integers

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    How do we show the one point compactification of the positive integers is homeomorphic to the set K={0} U {1/n : n is a positive integer}?

Say Y is the one point compactification of the positive integers. I know Y must contain Z+ and Y\Z+ is a single point. Also Y is a compact Hausdorff space.

But I am not sure how to show this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2
    Did you try defining f : Y to K by the most natural formula and showing directly that f is a homeomorphism?

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    yes, I am just trying to figure out how to show that f is continuous. [f defined by f(n)=1/n and f(p)=0 where p is the single point for the one point compactification]

5. Apr 28, 2009 #4

Vid

Are you using the discrete topology? If so, it's immediately continuous.

6. Apr 28, 2009 #5
    I would agree, except possibly at the point at infinity. Here you must use definition of open nbhd of the point at infinity, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook