One-to-One Function: Definition & Examples

In summary, a function is one-to-one if it maps different elements in the domain to different elements in the co-domain and vice versa. It is also equivalent to saying that if two inputs in the domain produce the same output in the co-domain, then those inputs must be the same. Conversely, if two inputs in the domain are different, then their outputs in the co-domain must also be different for the function to be one-to-one.
Nert
Hey I was reading Susanna Discrete book and I came across her definition of One-to-One function:

Let F be a function from a set X to a set Y. F is one-to-one (or injective) if, and only if, for all elements x1 and x2 in X,

if F(x1 ) = F(x2 ),then x1 = x2 ,
or, equivalently, if x1 ≠ x2 ,then F(x1) ≠ F(x2).

Symbolically,
F: X → Y is one-to-one ⇔ ∀x 1 ,x 2 ∈ X,if F(x1 ) = F(x2 ) then x1 = x2.

But I am not sure if I fully understand the definition. Here is my interpretation of the definition:

A function is said to be one-to-one if and only if,

if f(x1) and f(x2) are the same then x1=x2 ,

e.g if f(x1)=f(x2)=3, then
x1 = x2 = 1

Since, the co-domain 3 is being pointed by a two non-distinctive domain 1 then it said to be a one-to-one function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nert said:
Hey I was reading Susanna Discrete book and I came across her definition of One-to-One function:

Let F be a function from a set X to a set Y. F is one-to-one (or injective) if, and only if, for all elements x1 and x2 in X,

if F(x1 ) = F(x2 ),then x1 = x2 ,
or, equivalently, if x1 ≠ x2 ,then F(x1) ≠ F(x2).

Symbolically,
F: X → Y is one-to-one ⇔ ∀x 1 ,x 2 ∈ X,if F(x1 ) = F(x2 ) then x1 = x2.

But I am not sure if I fully understand the definition. Here is my interpretation of the definition:

A function is said to be one-to-one if and only if,

if f(x1) and f(x2) are the same then x1=x2 ,

e.g if f(x1)=f(x2)=3, then
x1 = x2 = 1

Since, the co-domain 3 is being pointed by a single domain 1 then it said to be a one-to-one function.

Yes, I think you've got it. You can also think of what happens iff f is not 1-1:

##f \ \ is \ \ not \ \ 1-1 \ \ iff \ \ \exists x_1 \ne x_2 \ \ with \ \ f(x_1) = f(x_2)##

That's a useful way to look at it as well.

Yes! Thank you

Related to One-to-One Function: Definition & Examples

What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a type of mathematical function where each input has a unique output. This means that for every value in the domain, there is only one corresponding value in the range. In other words, no two different inputs can produce the same output.

How is a one-to-one function represented?

A one-to-one function can be represented in several ways, including using a table of values, a graph, or an algebraic equation. In a table of values, each input is listed with its corresponding output. In a graph, a one-to-one function will pass the vertical line test, meaning that no vertical line will intersect the graph more than once. In an algebraic equation, a one-to-one function will have a unique inverse function.

What is the difference between a one-to-one function and a many-to-one function?

The main difference between a one-to-one function and a many-to-one function is that a one-to-one function has a unique output for each input, while a many-to-one function may have multiple outputs for a single input. In a one-to-one function, no two different inputs produce the same output, while in a many-to-one function, different inputs may produce the same output.

How can you determine if a function is one-to-one?

To determine if a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test or the inverse test. In the horizontal line test, you draw horizontal lines across the graph of the function. If no horizontal line intersects the graph more than once, the function is one-to-one. In the inverse test, you can check if the function has a unique inverse, which is a function that reverses the inputs and outputs of the original function.

What are some real-life examples of one-to-one functions?

One-to-one functions can be found in many real-life scenarios, such as converting temperature from Celsius to Fahrenheit, where each degree in Celsius has a unique corresponding degree in Fahrenheit. Other examples include converting currency, mapping the distance traveled by a car over time, and calculating the volume of a cube based on its side length.