Online math courses toward physics options?

In summary: Basically, in Canada, "plar" means to "place on a list for approval." So, if an online course has been successfully completed and the student wants to apply to a university, the course must be placed on a list of approved courses and the student must have completed the course requirements.
CrunchBerries
The following online courses are available to me through my work for free:

Calculus 1 (almost finished)
Calculus 2
Multivariable Calc
Linear Algebra
Ordinary Diff equations
Partial Diff equations
Complex Variables I

I plan on doing 4 to 6 of these math courses before going into a program at university. In which order should I do these? If I were to do some concurrent courses, which ones go well together?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO you could do Linear algebra alongside with calculus. It might help when it comes to multivariate calculus and isn't that difficult. It's a different way to approach stuff so it might seem to be difficult. However, it's mainly a matter of being used to. Similar could be said about pairing multivariate calculus and complex calculus. Having both at the same time could either confuse you or it can help to overcome the fundamental question: Why isn't complex not the same as two-dimensional real? It depends on personal habits.

Thanks, i might just figure out linear algebra through calc ii.

Why delay going to university?

Good question.. i have to qualify first. I have to complete 4 courses first, up to 6. The my company looks at my progression and asseses if its worth to invest in full university training for a project management position.

Basically i want to go from a gutter tech to a project manager. EE/BSc-Phys degree are the two qualifications for that.

CrunchBerries said:
Good question.. i have to qualify first. I have to complete 4 courses first, up to 6. The my company looks at my progression and asseses if its worth to invest in full university training for a project management position.

Basically i want to go from a gutter tech to a project manager. EE/BSc-Phys degree are the two qualifications for that.

Do calculus 2, 3, and linear algebra then. (As always my opinion remains you should do LA before multivariate calclus.) You may need to repeat these courses if the universities you apply to (or are allowed to apply to) don't accept this online credit.

Thanks, there is a chance the uni won't plar my credits, but that's fine with me. I am just glad i even get considered. Ideally, if these get plar'd then i will be able to fit higher level physics courses in an EE major, maybe even get a phys minor with a EE major.

CrunchBerries said:
Thanks, there is a chance the uni won't plar my credits
Plar? :oldconfused:

Aha, that seems to be a Canadian thing... carry on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLAR

1. What is the benefit of taking online math courses for pursuing a physics degree?

Online math courses provide convenience and flexibility for students who are interested in pursuing a physics degree. They can be accessed from anywhere and at any time, allowing students to fit them into their busy schedules.

2. Are online math courses as rigorous as traditional in-person courses?

Online math courses are designed to be just as rigorous as traditional in-person courses. They typically cover the same material and have the same expectations for assignments and exams. However, it is important for students to stay disciplined and motivated in order to succeed in an online course.

3. Can I receive credit for online math courses when applying to a physics program?

This depends on the specific physics program and institution. Some schools may accept online math courses for credit, while others may not. It is important to check with the program you are interested in to determine their policies on accepting online courses.

4. How do online math courses prepare me for physics courses?

Online math courses cover fundamental concepts and skills that are necessary for success in physics courses. These courses typically include topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, which are foundational for understanding physics principles.

5. Are there any resources available for online math courses that can help me better understand the material?

Most online math courses provide resources such as online textbooks, practice problems, and interactive tutorials to help students better understand the material. In addition, some courses may offer online tutoring or discussion forums where students can ask questions and receive help from instructors or peers.