1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Online math courses toward physics options?

1. Sep 30, 2016 #1
    The following online courses are available to me through my work for free:

Calculus 1 (almost finished)
    Calculus 2
    Multivariable Calc
    Linear Algebra
    Ordinary Diff equations
    Partial Diff equations
    Complex Variables I

I plan on doing 4 to 6 of these math courses before going into a program at university. In which order should I do these? If I were to do some concurrent courses, which ones go well together?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

IMO you could do Linear algebra alongside with calculus. It might help when it comes to multivariate calculus and isn't that difficult. It's a different way to approach stuff so it might seem to be difficult. However, it's mainly a matter of being used to. Similar could be said about pairing multivariate calculus and complex calculus. Having both at the same time could either confuse you or it can help to overcome the fundamental question: Why isn't complex not the same as two-dimensional real? It depends on personal habits.

4. Oct 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks, i might just figure out linear algebra through calc ii.

5. Oct 1, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why delay going to university?

6. Oct 1, 2016 #5
    Good question.. i have to qualify first. I have to complete 4 courses first, up to 6. The my company looks at my progression and asseses if its worth to invest in full university training for a project management position.

Basically i want to go from a gutter tech to a project manager. EE/BSc-Phys degree are the two qualifications for that.

7. Oct 1, 2016 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Do calculus 2, 3, and linear algebra then. (As always my opinion remains you should do LA before multivariate calclus.) You may need to repeat these courses if the universities you apply to (or are allowed to apply to) don't accept this online credit.

8. Oct 2, 2016 #7
    Thanks, there is a chance the uni wont plar my credits, but thats fine with me. Im just glad i even get considered. Ideally, if these get plar'd then i will be able to fit higher level physics courses in an EE major, maybe even get a phys minor with a EE major.

9. Oct 3, 2016 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted