Online satellite views of hurricane Irma results?

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor
Is there a website that has online satellite views of locations recent enough to show results of hurricane Irma?

scottdave

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Is there a website that has online satellite views of locations recent enough to show results of hurricane Irma?
Are you referring to views of the aftermath (damage)? I don't know of anything for public release, yet. I believe Google Earth saves some historical views of major events.

As far as I know the result so far is a lot of damage in the Carribean including some deaths, no death afaik in Florida.
However if your want pictures, a satellite, even the best military ones, would have less resolution than somebody on the ground.
There are many sites with pictures showing damage locally.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ah, thanks for the update, I don't live in the US, it's in the news here but not headlining.
That's quite a lot higher than average I would think, given that there were several days of warning.

scottdave

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
as of yesterday ... at the time you wrote ... Florida death toll had reached 12 :frown:
News reports on how many people are dead or missing will be spotty for awhile. My guess is the final number will be higher:frown:
Considering the size of the storm and the millions of people in Florida, 12 doesn't sound high. Don't take this the wrong way....
Of course we want there to be zero deaths, but practically, we know there will be some, even though we try to take precaution to prevent loss of life.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Of course we want there to be zero deaths, but practically, we know there will be some, even though we try to take precaution to prevent loss of life.

unfortunately, this is true :frown:

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor