Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online satellite views of hurricane Irma results?

1. Sep 11, 2017 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Is there a website that has online satellite views of locations recent enough to show results of hurricane Irma?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you referring to views of the aftermath (damage)? I don't know of anything for public release, yet. I believe Google Earth saves some historical views of major events.

4. Sep 11, 2017 #3
    As far as I know the result so far is a lot of damage in the Carribean including some deaths, no death afaik in Florida.
    However if your want pictures, a satellite, even the best military ones, would have less resolution than somebody on the ground.
    There are many sites with pictures showing damage locally.

5. Sep 12, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

as of yesterday ... at the time you wrote ... Florida death toll had reached 12 :frown:

6. Sep 12, 2017 #5
    Ah, thanks for the update, I don't live in the US, it's in the news here but not headlining.
    That's quite a lot higher than average I would think, given that there were several days of warning.

7. Sep 12, 2017 #6

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

News reports on how many people are dead or missing will be spotty for awhile. My guess is the final number will be higher:frown:
    Considering the size of the storm and the millions of people in Florida, 12 doesn't sound high. Don't take this the wrong way....
    Of course we want there to be zero deaths, but practically, we know there will be some, even though we try to take precaution to prevent loss of life.

8. Sep 12, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

unfortunately, this is true :frown:

9. Sep 12, 2017 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted