1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Loop Response of a car using a Basic First Order Model

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car Dynamics

f(t)→ [itex]\frac{\frac{1}{M}}{s+\frac{D}{M}}[/itex]→y(t)
    Applied Force Velocity

2. Relevant equations
    M=1,000 kg and D=1000 kg/s
    Where f(t) represents the input force and y(t) is the output velocity. M is the Mass and D is the drag, both of which are assumed constant for each case to be considered.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first order Differential equation is y'(t)+[itex]\frac{D}{M}[/itex]y(t)=[itex]\frac{1}{M}[/itex]f(t)

After I got that I'm supposed to do: I get stuck below at b part. I appreciate any help.

b) Solve the differential equation for y(t) if the input is a step function scaled by the force F0, f(t)=F0u(t). The initial velocity y(0)=28.8m/s (75 km/hr). Choose F0 such that the final velocity is 100 km/hr (27.8 m/s).

c) Plot the velocity y(t) versus time. Your time axis should go from 0 to 100 sec. Label axes.

d) How does the velocity change if the drag, D, is reduced to 75 kg/s? Increased to 150 kg/s? Plot y(t) for both cases and compare to part b above.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This problem has just been posed by elijah78 and addressed by the savants of PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted