A car on a hill - power of motor problem

In summary: Right, so how much power does that...In summary, the car can maintain an acceleration of 1m/s^2 for a period of 1.5s.
LippyKa16

Homework Statement

A car is traveling up a slope. Given that a(t) is constant at 1m/s^2, find the expression of motor power in time. Assuming that the maximum power of the car is 215kW, for how long can the car maintain such an acceleration?

Capture.JPG

Mass of car (m) = 2000 kg
The hill has a constant inclination of 8 degrees (Θ = 8)
Initial velocity (u) = 90 km/h or 25 m/s
Friction coefficient due to wheel contact is 0.1
Air resistance (F[air]) = 0.85*v^2

Velocity = v, Time = t, Height = h, Force = F, Power = P
Energy = E, Kinetic Energy = KE, Gravitational Potential Energy = GPE

Homework Equations

P = ∑F * v
P = dE/dt
E = KE + GPE (no elastic potential energy)
GPE = 1/2*m*(h[final] - h[initial])
h[final] = s * sinΘ (s = distance)
s = 1/2(u+v)t (SUVAT equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram of the system with a rotated axis so that the Normal force was the only force that was at an angle.

P[air] = F[air] * v * cosΘ * cos180
P[air] = -0.84*v^3

P[friction] = F[friction] * v * cosΘ * cos180 (F[friction] ~ 1942.91 N)
P[friction] = -1924.00*v

Assuming P[max] = P[motor]...
215,000 - 0.84*v^3 - 1924*v = dKE/dt + dGPE/dt
Maximum velocity means acceleration = 0
Maximum velocity also means KE = 0
Assuming h[initial] = 0

215,000 - 0.84*v^3 - 1924*v = d/dt (1/2*m*(1/2(u+v)t * sinΘ))
215,000 - 0.84*v^3 - 1924*v = d/dt(1000[(12.5t + 0.5vt)sinΘ])

I am stuck here because I think I am on the wrong track.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 719
Physics news on Phys.org
LippyKa16 said:
Friction coefficient due to wheel contact is 0.
I hope they mean rolling resistance. Static friction coefficient would be closer to 1, and is anyway irrelevant.
LippyKa16 said:
a rotated axis so that the Normal force was the only force that was at an angle.
Do you mean that gravity is the only one at an angle?
LippyKa16 said:
P[air] = F[air] * v * cosΘ * cos180
Why the the cos term here, and in the frictional force calculation? What is the angle between the velocity and the air resistance?
LippyKa16 said:
Maximum velocity means acceleration = 0
Yes, but the first part of the question asks for the power needed to achieve the given acceleration.
LippyKa16 said:
Maximum velocity also means KE = 0
You mean dKE/dt=0, yes?
LippyKa16 said:
d/dt (1/2*m*(1/2(u+v)t * sinθ))
What is this term? It looks a dKE/dt, not a dGPE/dt.

haruspex said:
I hope they mean rolling resistance. Static friction coefficient would be closer to 1, and is anyway irrelevant.

Do you mean that gravity is the only one at an angle?

Why the the cos term here, and in the frictional force calculation? What is the angle between the velocity and the air resistance?

Yes, but the first part of the question asks for the power needed to achieve the given acceleration.

You mean dKE/dt=0, yes?

What is this term? It looks a dKE/dt, not a dGPE/dt.

Sorry, yes I did mean the weight of the car was at an angle.

I was planning on adding the cosΘ term to all of the forces but that was unnecessary.

Yes sorry, I meant dKE/dt = 0 because maximum velocity is a constant.

The term d/dt (1/2*m*(1/2(u+v)t * sinΘ)) that I had was trying to incorporate the SUVAT formula for distance (s = 1/2(u+v)t) into the equation for final height (h = s * sinΘ)

LippyKa16 said:
The term d/dt (1/2*m*(1/2(u+v)t * sinΘ)) that I had was trying to incorporate the SUVAT formula for distance (s = 1/2(u+v)t) into the equation for final height (h = s * sinΘ)
Ok, but there seems to be an extra 1/2 in there.
Anyway, it is much simpler to consider: if it is moving at speed v up a slope angle θ, how fast is it gaining height?

haruspex said:
Ok, but there seems to be an extra 1/2 in there.
Anyway, it is much simpler to consider: if it is moving at speed v up a slope angle θ, how fast is it gaining height?
So basically the s should be velocity?

LippyKa16 said:
So basically the s should be velocity?
No, I did not say that. Simple question: if you are going up a slope θ at speed v how fast are you gaining height?

haruspex said:
No, I did not say that. Simple question: if you are going up a slope θ at speed v how fast are you gaining height?
You would be gaining height at v m/s right?

LippyKa16 said:
You would be gaining height at v m/s right?
No, the speed v is up the slope, not vertical.

haruspex said:
No, the speed v is up the slope, not vertical.
So you would gain height at a speed of v*sinΘ? That would be the y component of velocity?

Last edited:
LippyKa16 said:
So you would gain height at a speed of v*sinΘ? That would be the y component of velocity?
Right, so how much power does that represent?

haruspex said:
Right, so how much power does that represent?
Would that represent the v aspect of Power with regards to F*v for GPE?

LippyKa16 said:
Would that represent the v aspect of Power with regards to F*v for GPE?
Not sure what you mean by "v aspect". It gives the power related to the gain of GPE. Yes, use the force times velocity formula to calculate it, but you must use the right force and the right velocity.

haruspex said:
Not sure what you mean by "v aspect". It gives the power related to the gain of GPE. Yes, use the force times velocity formula to calculate it, but you must use the right force and the right velocity.
Ok, thank you for your help so far.

haruspex said:
Would that Force be the force of the car and the velocity in v * sinθ is the unknown that I am trying to solve for? And would the equation for the gravitational potential energy be m*g*v*sinθ? I struggle with this stuff...

LippyKa16 said:
would the equation for the gravitational potential energy be m*g*v*sinθ?
That's the rate of change of GPE, yes.

haruspex said:
That's the rate of change of GPE, yes.
Thank you for your help, I think I have solved it now.

What is the problem with a car on a hill and its motor power?

The problem with a car on a hill and its motor power is that the motor may not have enough power to move the car up the incline, causing it to stall or roll backwards.

What factors affect a car's ability to climb a hill?

The weight of the car, the power of the motor, the angle of the incline, and the condition of the road surface are all factors that can affect a car's ability to climb a hill.

How can you increase a car's power on a hill?

One way to increase a car's power on a hill is to downshift to a lower gear, which will provide more torque to the wheels and help the car climb the incline. Another option is to have the car's motor tuned or upgraded to provide more power.

Can a car's motor overheat when climbing a hill?

Yes, a car's motor can overheat when climbing a hill due to the increased demand for power and the strain it puts on the engine. It is important to monitor the car's temperature gauge and take breaks if necessary to allow the engine to cool down.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when driving a car on a hill?

When driving a car on a hill, it is important to maintain a safe speed and avoid sudden accelerations or decelerations. It is also important to use the appropriate gear and to keep a safe distance from other vehicles to avoid accidents. Additionally, it is important to regularly maintain the car's motor and brakes to ensure they are functioning properly while driving on hills.