Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open Source Circuit Optimization Software Question

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    Hey all,

I'm working on the JUICE mission (Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer) and I've been tasked with finding software (preferably open source, but paid is fine) that can optimize circuit network designs that I upload. Originally I was trying to find programs that would run optimization using the real frequency technique, but at this point any technique will do to start with. Can anybody recommend software that I could use? I've been looking for quite some time, and nothing I've turned up has really been satisfying. One of the goals for optimizing these networks is for use in antennas, so frequency ranges are important.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Optimize how? Optimization implies making something better while changing some other parameters...

4. Jun 5, 2014 #3
    Our goal is impedence matching. Ideally we'll create an antenna network (circuit) that we will attach to some impedence function based on frequency. We're trying to get the highest gain from that.
    Sorry I wasn't more clear to begin with. Does that help?

5. Jun 5, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

DO you already have a SDR (software defined radio) system available?
    By that I mean is the frequency switching system already in place, or do you want a system that will handle the optimization as well as control?

6. Jun 5, 2014 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You will get the highest antenna gain from a long beam Yagi or a parabolic dish. Is there a reason you aren't just using one of those?

7. Jun 6, 2014 #6
    This device will be going on to a spacecraft, so there isn't much room to work with when determining antenna types. All I'm looking for is software that can optimize a circuit connected to a complex load defined by a function. We already have one software package, but due diligence requires that we compare our results to those from another program. Does anyone have any recommendations for that specific task?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook