Operational determinants in ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution for two equations using operator notation. The book suggests starting with (D^2 - 2)x - 3Dy = 0 and 3Dx + (D^2 - 2)y = 0. The first equation is x''-3y'-2x=0 and the second equation is y''+3x'-2y=0. D represents the first derivative and D^2 represents the second derivative. The conversation also mentions the use of operational determinants in ODE, but there is confusion about what "D" represents.
cue928
I am to find the general solution of the following two equations, using operator notation:
x''-3y'-2x=0
y''+3x'-2y=0
The book suggests starting out with:
(D^2 -2)x - 3Dy = 0
3Dx+(D^2 - 2)y = 0 but for the life of me, I do not see how they got this from the first two equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
D represents the first derivative (with what ever the independent variable is in this problem) and [itex]D^2[/itex] is the second derivative.
The first equation is x''- 3y'- 2x= D^2x- 3Dy- 2x= D^2x- 2x- 3y= (D^2-2)x- 3y= 0.

The second equation is y''+ 3X'- 2y= D^2y+ 3Dx- 2y= D^2y- 2y+ 3Dx= (D^2- 2)y+ 3Dx= 0.

(You titled this "Operational determinants in ODE. Were you thinking that "D" was the determinant of something?)

No, not really. To be honest, I wasn't sure what it meant. Let me try running through the problem with that piece of insight, which I appreciate, and see if it makes any sense.

1. What are operational determinants in ODE?

Operational determinants in ODE refer to the factors that influence the behavior and outcomes of an operational system or process. These determinants can include various elements such as resources, technology, procedures, and human factors.

2. How do operational determinants affect ODE?

The operational determinants play a critical role in shaping the performance and effectiveness of an operational system. They can impact the efficiency, reliability, and safety of the system, as well as the overall success of the operation.

3. What are some examples of operational determinants in ODE?

Examples of operational determinants in ODE could include the availability and quality of resources, the level of automation and technology used, the design and implementation of procedures and protocols, and the training and experience of personnel.

4. How can operational determinants be optimized in ODE?

To optimize operational determinants in ODE, it is essential to identify and understand the key factors that influence the system's performance. This can involve conducting thorough analyses, implementing effective strategies and solutions, and continuously monitoring and adjusting the determinants as needed.

5. Why is it important to consider operational determinants in ODE?

Considering operational determinants in ODE is crucial because they can significantly impact the success and sustainability of an operational system. By understanding and managing these determinants effectively, organizations can improve their operations and achieve their goals more efficiently and effectively.