Opinions on Engineering Physics vs. Pure Physics undergrad?

In summary, the conversation is about the decision between pursuing an engineering physics or pure physics degree for undergraduate studies, with the main concern being the level of theory in the engineering physics program. It is mentioned that both programs offer similar math and physics classes, but with engineering electives in place of certain physics courses. It is also noted that an engineering physics degree can lead to becoming a Professional Engineer in Ontario, which may provide more job opportunities. The Engineering Science program at U of T is described as having a focus on basic courses in math, physics, and engineering design, with the option to take more theoretical courses in upper years. The Engineering Physics program at McMaster is said to have a focus on applied physics in areas such as photonics, me
Bound
Hello again PF,

I now need to decide whether to pursue an engineering physics or pure physics degree for my undergrad, I've been accepted to both, but am unsure what would be the better fit for me.

I obviously like the extra job security that an engineering degree would carry with it, but I'm worried that engineering physics won't be as "theoretical" as I like. I don't necessarily want to get into math like real analysis, but at the same time would still like to see derivations of equations, will an engineering physics degree still provide this problem solving basis or do they just throw equations at you?

Also I would definitely like to go to grad school (for now anyways) afterwards, perhaps in medical physics or nuclear engineering, we'll see how I feel once the degree starts.

Specifically these are some of the programs I'm looking at:
UofT
http://engsci.utoronto.ca/home.htm
McMaster
http://engphys.mcmaster.ca/
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/CALENDAR/2012-13/pg1615.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should take the same math and physics classes as the pure physics majors, just with engineering electives instead of quantum 2, e&m 2, etc.

If you're willing to take five years to graduate, you could take all of the normal physics degree.

You should know that with an engineering physics degree (at least the ones in Ontario you mentioned) you CAN become a Professional Engineer in Ontario. With a bachelors in pure physics you pretty much can't (would be very difficult). The engineering in the title will help you find employment much easier with just an undergraduate degree, at least in my experience. Since you said the main reason you want to take physics is for the derivations, you might see derivations in your physics courses but if you want more read the textbook or buy a more theory based textbook for fun over the summer.

This is all from my experience as a 3rd year engineering student in Ontario, and knowing people in pure physics and engineering physics also in Ontario.

From what I understand, the first 2 years of the Engineering Science program at U of T is focused on taking basic courses in math, physics, chemistry, computer programming, statistics, and systems biology, along with an engineering design course in 2nd year. From the 3rd year on, if you decide to pursue the engineering physics option, you end up taking the same physics courses as those enrolled in a pure physics degree, which you can make as theoretical or as practical as you like.

I'm not that familiar with the engineering physics program at McMaster, but from what I've read, that program is focused primarily on "applied" physics such as photonics/optics, mechatronics, nanotechnology, nuclear engineering, or some combination of the above areas.

I am in the Engineering Physics option at UofT and I can assure you that you can take courses as theoretical as you'd like.

The first two years are general and you learn a lot, and it is at the same level or higher than other engineers/physicists.

In your upper years you can basically choose most of your own courses. I am currently taking in my final semester:

Complex Variables (math department)
Statistical Mechanics (physics department)
Relativistic Electrodynamics (physics department)
Radio and Wireless Communication Systems (Antennas) (electrical engineering department)

You typically take a balance between engineering courses and upper division math/physics courses. If you want to take a lot of upper division math AND physics, then it would be best to go into a physics/math degree. However, I would only recommend this if you wanted to do theory in grad school. For doing anything experimental or engineering related, engineering physics is great!

What is the difference between Engineering Physics and Pure Physics?

Engineering Physics is a field that applies the principles of physics to practical engineering problems, while Pure Physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world. Engineering Physics courses tend to have a more applied and hands-on approach, while Pure Physics courses are more theoretical in nature.

Which one is better for pursuing a career in research?

Both Engineering Physics and Pure Physics can lead to careers in research. However, Pure Physics may be a better option for those interested in pursuing research in theoretical and fundamental physics, while Engineering Physics may be more suitable for those interested in applied research in fields such as materials science or engineering.

Which one has better job prospects?

Both Engineering Physics and Pure Physics graduates have good job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the specific career path and industry. Engineering Physics graduates may have more opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications, while Pure Physics graduates may find more job prospects in research institutions, academia, and government agencies.

What are the core courses in each program?

The core courses in Engineering Physics typically include a combination of physics, mathematics, and engineering courses such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and materials science. Pure Physics programs usually have a stronger emphasis on theoretical physics courses such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

Is it possible to switch from one program to the other?

It is possible to switch between Engineering Physics and Pure Physics programs, but it may require completing additional courses or credits. It is best to consult with an academic advisor or department head before making the switch to ensure a smooth transition.