1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Opposite groups - show it is a group

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [tex](G, \circ)[/tex] is a group. Define an operation [tex]\star[/tex] on [tex]G[/tex] by [tex]a \star b = b \circ a[/tex] for all [tex]a,b \in G[/tex]. Show that [tex](G,\star)[/tex] is a group.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I have to show that [tex](G,\star)[/tex] satisfies the associativity, identity, inverse and closure conditions:

Associativity: Let a,b,c be elements in G.

[tex](a \star b) \star c = (b \circ a) \star c[/tex]

[tex]= c \circ (b \circ a) = (c \circ b) \circ a[/tex]

[tex]= a \star (b \star c)[/tex].

Identity: [tex](a \star e) = (e \circ a) = (a \circ e)=(e \star a) = a[/tex].

Inverse: y is an inverse of a then [tex](a \star y)= (y \circ a) = (y \star a) = e[/tex].

Are these correct so far??

And for the closure, do I just need to show that any element of [tex](G,\star)[/tex] is in [tex]G[/tex]? I know that [tex](a \star b)=(b \circ a)[/tex] and [tex](b \circ a) \in (G, \circ)[/tex] so is that all I need to say?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Groups

ya, thats it.

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3

Really? Even the explanation for the closure is correct?

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, [tex](a \star b)=(b \circ a)[/tex] and, because G is a group, [itex]\circ[/itex] is closed so that [itex]b\circ a\in G[/itex] for all a,b so [itex]a\star b\in G[/itex] for all a, b.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook