Optical Effect: curved light source when seen through the bus window

Marth
During the night, I was traveling by local bus. And as I viewed through the window, the light from the street lights and the headlights of other vehicles appeared curved, as shown in the images below:
viber_image_2023-10-26_19-50-48-679.jpg
viber_image_2023-10-26_19-50-48-472.jpg

One common answer is: because of refraction
Is there any more explanation for this behavior?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Marth said:
Is there any more explanation for this behavior?

The window is curved...

No, it is not. That's a perfectly flat glass surface.

Pretty sure those are reflections off streaks on the glass - could be oil, could be residue from a cleaner.

These, but curved:
1698332183726.png

Upon further "reflection" I am not convinced this is an effect of the glass.
It's got to be an artifact of your camera.

The streaks are perfectly circular, perfectly concentric, and their origin is in the direction your camera is pointed.
1698332455113.png

Is it an uncropped image? I don't suppose you cropped off the left side of the image did you?

Likes berkeman
In fact, there seem to be two foci of concentricity in discrete areas:

1698335425644.png

They could very well be fingerprint smudges on your lens.

Last edited:
Likes KAHR-Alpha

1. What causes the curved light source when seen through a bus window?

The curved light source is caused by the refraction of light as it passes through the curved surface of the bus window. This distortion of light is known as an optical effect.

2. Why does the curved light source appear different when seen through a bus window compared to a flat window?

The curved shape of the bus window causes the light to bend and distort in different ways, creating a unique visual effect. Flat windows do not have this curved surface, so the light passes through without any distortion.

3. Can this optical effect be seen through any curved surface?

Yes, this effect can be seen through any curved surface, not just bus windows. It is a result of the way light behaves when passing through curved mediums.

4. Does the angle of the light source affect the appearance of the curved light source?

Yes, the angle of the light source can affect the appearance of the curved light source. A light source that is directly in front of the window will create a different effect compared to a light source that is at an angle.

5. Is the curved light source purely a visual effect, or does it have any practical applications?

The curved light source is primarily a visual effect, but it does have practical applications in optics and photography. It can be used to create interesting and unique images, and can also be utilized in lens design to correct for aberrations.