Optical geometry of smartphone camera.

In summary, the speaker posted on a phone forum about their difficulty with the focus on their phone's camera. They were curious about the focusing method used and whether it was possible to improve it using an external lens. They received no responses, but after some research on smart phone camera modules and voice coil motors, they realized that the issue was due to the slim design of the camera module. Close up shots cannot be properly focused due to this design, but adjusting the distance and using long shot mode can help improve the image quality.
vitency
I posted the following on a phone forum and got no replies, as expected. It's a bit out-of-the-way and technical. Thought this might be a better place since the question still interests me.

I'm using my phone to take photos of assembly procedures on my electronics workbench. However, the focus in up-close shots is not sharp.

I've always been curious about the focusing method they use. It's obviously not electromechanical servo as in digital cameras, and my guess is that the image sensors are sufficiently sensitive as to allow the use if a simple "pin-hole" lens, which effectively gives "infinite" depth-of-field. If so, I'd guess that resolution is directly related to aperture diameter. Two questions thus arise:

1. Is my guess about focusing correct, and if not what is the method?

2. Is it possible to use an external lens to sharpen the focus, and if so of what characteristics?

Many thanks for any replies and/or answers.

Science news on Phys.org
There should be plenty of resources you can find through Google on smart phone camera modules. Basically they use voice coil motors to move the lens barrel to create focused images. Most of these modules on the market cannot properly focus on objects less than 10cm away from the camera. Try treat the camera like a long-sighted person, than in theory, you will be able to improve your close up image quality.

> they use voice coil motors to move the lens barrel

Phew! Thanks for the keywords "smart phone camera modules". They led me immediately to a swag of info that I'd never come across. And voice coil motors - yes, that makes sense when I wouldn't have believed anything more orthodox.

So it's all autofocussing, I suppose, and my poor resolution is - what - bad guess on the image plane by the autofocuser?

> treat the camera like a long-sighted person

Yes, I've been moving back as far as I can, using "long shot" mode, and cropping the centre out of the resulting images.

Gonna hafta think about this for a bit ...

actually, close up images cannot be focused because you need the lens barrel to move farther away from the sensor for that. Since everyone likes slim phones and hate camera bulges, you sacrificed some ability to take close up shots by having slim camera modules.

1. What is the optical geometry of a smartphone camera?

The optical geometry of a smartphone camera refers to the arrangement and characteristics of the optical components that make up the camera, such as lenses, sensors, and image processors. It also includes the physical dimensions and positions of these components.

2. How does the optical geometry affect the quality of smartphone camera photos?

The optical geometry plays a crucial role in determining the quality of smartphone camera photos. The placement and quality of lenses, as well as the size and resolution of the image sensor, can greatly impact the sharpness, clarity, and color accuracy of photos.

3. Can the optical geometry of a smartphone camera be improved?

Yes, the optical geometry of a smartphone camera can be improved through advancements in technology and design. Manufacturers are constantly working to improve the quality of smartphone cameras by using better lenses, larger sensors, and more advanced image processors.

4. Are there different types of optical geometries used in smartphone cameras?

Yes, there are different types of optical geometries used in smartphone cameras, depending on the manufacturer and model. Some smartphones may use a single lens, while others may use multiple lenses for different functions, such as wide-angle or telephoto shots.

5. How does the optical geometry of a smartphone camera compare to that of a professional camera?

The optical geometry of a smartphone camera is much simpler and more compact compared to that of a professional camera. Professional cameras have larger lenses, multiple sensors, and more advanced image processors, allowing for greater control and higher quality images.