Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical misalignment

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with estimating error caused by misalignment of an optical arrangement. I am interested in how the focal length of this arrangement will be affected by say a misalignment of just one of the lenses. I'll assume that every component is aligned in the horizontal and vertical and that it is just a slight angular misalignment.

Say I have a laser followed by two lenses. Is there an equation to find the focal length of the system when the first lens is out of alignment by x degrees? Or will it actually have little effect on the focal length and just move the position of the focal point?

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't think it will have any effect on the focal length, but it would introduce aberrations in the converging light cone and the focal plane may be tilted slightly.

4. Feb 13, 2014 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook