Optical tweezers, QPD back focal plane interferometry vs imaging

• Thread starter donroy81
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, I use a 10x infinity objective as a condenser in a optical trap setup. The collimated forward scattered light is then focused with a 40mm lens onto a QPD. This is the imaging techqnique. There is also BFPI, and I am not clear on this method. My understanding is that I need to image the back focal plane of the 10x infinity objective by inserting another lens. Then use the 40mm lens to image onto the QPD. For cell/vesicle level work ( not single molecules) what advantage does this bring? More importantly, does the data processing change? I use the power spectrum method to calibrate.

Answers and Replies

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What does 'BFPI' stand for, and can you provide a reference for it?

Hello,It stands for < a href="http://biopt.ub.edu/force-detection/back-focal-plane-interferometry"> [Broken] Back focal plane interferometry </a>.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Oh, ok- the back focal plane (technically, it's actually the exit pupil) of the condenser lens is where the interference pattern is; the relay lens images the back pupil plane onto a detector. The advantage is that sub-resolution motion of the particle can easily be measured with interferometry.