Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical tweezers, QPD back focal plane interferometry vs imaging

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    Hello, I use a 10x infinity objective as a condenser in a optical trap setup. The collimated forward scattered light is then focused with a 40mm lens onto a QPD. This is the imaging techqnique. There is also BFPI, and I am not clear on this method. My understanding is that I need to image the back focal plane of the 10x infinity objective by inserting another lens. Then use the 40mm lens to image onto the QPD. For cell/vesicle level work ( not single molecules) what advantage does this bring? More importantly, does the data processing change? I use the power spectrum method to calibrate.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What does 'BFPI' stand for, and can you provide a reference for it?

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    Hello,It stands for < a href="http://biopt.ub.edu/force-detection/back-focal-plane-interferometry"> [Broken] Back focal plane interferometry </a>.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh, ok- the back focal plane (technically, it's actually the exit pupil) of the condenser lens is where the interference pattern is; the relay lens images the back pupil plane onto a detector. The advantage is that sub-resolution motion of the particle can easily be measured with interferometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook