1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics: Complex exponentials for sine

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Imagine that we have two waves of the same amplitude, speed and frequency over-lapping in some region of space such that the resultant disturbance is

[itex]\psi(y,t) = Acos(ky+\omega t) + Acos(ky-\omega t +\pi)[/itex]

Using complex exponentials show that

[itex]\psi(y,t) = -2Asin(ky) sin(\omega t)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]Ae^{i\theta} = Acos(\theta) + Aisin(\theta) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually have the solution worked out, but my issue occurred once consulting the solutions manual. I ended up with:

[itex]\psi(y,t) = A(2icos(ky)sin(\omega t)-2sin(ky) sin(\omega t))[/itex]

with the real part being the solution:

[itex]\psi(y,t) = -2Asin(ky) sin(\omega t)[/itex]

Then the solutions manual says "Had we begun with sine waves, i.e.

[itex]\psi(y,t) = Asin(ky+\omega t) + Asin(ky-\omega t +\pi)[/itex]

the treatment would have been identical up until the last step, where, this time, the imaginary part would be taken to give:"

[itex]\psi(y,t) = 2Acos(ky)sin(\omega t)[/itex]

I'm confused as to why we can just choose the imaginary part because we happen to have started with sine functions. I thought the real part was always used and the imaginary part ignored. I think I'm missing some intuition with converting sine functions into complex exponentials... I understand that

[itex]Acos(\theta) = Ae^{i\theta}[/itex] because we can ignore the [itex]Aisin(\theta)[/itex] term,
    but what if we start with [itex]Asin(\theta)[/itex]? How is this changed to an exponential?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't. The cosine-sine part is the real part when you start with sine functions.
    This is because:

##\sin\theta = \frac{1}{i}\left ( e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta} \right )##

----------------

LaTeX note: put a backslash in front of function names to get them to typeset properly ... sin\theta gives you ##sin\theta## while \sin\theta gives you ##\sin\theta## ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook