Optics: Complex exponentials for sine

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use complex exponentials to simplify a solution involving overlapping waves. The solution manual suggests using the imaginary part when starting with sine functions and the real part when starting with cosine functions. This is due to the relationship between sine and cosine functions and complex exponentials.
jbrussell93

Homework Statement

Imagine that we have two waves of the same amplitude, speed and frequency over-lapping in some region of space such that the resultant disturbance is

[itex]\psi(y,t) = Acos(ky+\omega t) + Acos(ky-\omega t +\pi)[/itex]

Using complex exponentials show that

[itex]\psi(y,t) = -2Asin(ky) sin(\omega t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]Ae^{i\theta} = Acos(\theta) + Aisin(\theta) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have the solution worked out, but my issue occurred once consulting the solutions manual. I ended up with:

[itex]\psi(y,t) = A(2icos(ky)sin(\omega t)-2sin(ky) sin(\omega t))[/itex]

with the real part being the solution:

[itex]\psi(y,t) = -2Asin(ky) sin(\omega t)[/itex]

Then the solutions manual says "Had we begun with sine waves, i.e.

[itex]\psi(y,t) = Asin(ky+\omega t) + Asin(ky-\omega t +\pi)[/itex]

the treatment would have been identical up until the last step, where, this time, the imaginary part would be taken to give:"

[itex]\psi(y,t) = 2Acos(ky)sin(\omega t)[/itex]

I'm confused as to why we can just choose the imaginary part because we happen to have started with sine functions. I thought the real part was always used and the imaginary part ignored. I think I'm missing some intuition with converting sine functions into complex exponentials... I understand that

[itex]Acos(\theta) = Ae^{i\theta}[/itex] because we can ignore the [itex]Aisin(\theta)[/itex] term,
but what if we start with [itex]Asin(\theta)[/itex]? How is this changed to an exponential?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't. The cosine-sine part is the real part when you start with sine functions.
This is because:

##\sin\theta = \frac{1}{i}\left ( e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta} \right )##

----------------

LaTeX note: put a backslash in front of function names to get them to typeset properly ... sin\theta gives you ##sin\theta## while \sin\theta gives you ##\sin\theta## ...

1. What is a complex exponential?

A complex exponential is a mathematical function of the form eix, where i is the imaginary unit (√-1) and x is a real number. It represents a complex number in polar form, with a magnitude of 1 and an angle of x radians.

2. How is a complex exponential related to the sine function?

The sine function can be written as sin(x) = (eix - e-ix)/2i. This means that the sine function is a combination of two complex exponentials, with one having a positive exponent and one having a negative exponent.

3. Why are complex exponentials useful in optics?

In optics, complex exponentials are used to describe the behavior of light waves. This is because complex exponentials have both real and imaginary components, which can represent the amplitude and phase of a light wave, respectively. They are also used in Fourier analysis, which is a mathematical tool used to analyze the properties of light waves.

4. Can complex exponentials be used to describe other types of waves?

Yes, complex exponentials can be used to describe any type of wave. This is because they have the property of being able to represent both amplitude and phase, which are important characteristics of waves in general. They are often used in physics and engineering to model and analyze various types of waves, including sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

5. How are complex exponentials used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, complex exponentials are used to represent the wavefunction of a particle. The wavefunction describes the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a certain position and time. Complex exponentials are also used in the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system.