Optics: light refraction in prisms

In summary, light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. Prisms, which are made of denser materials, cause light to refract by slowing it down and bending it towards the normal line. This results in different colors of light being refracted at different angles, allowing prisms to create rainbows. Understanding light refraction in prisms has practical applications in fields such as optics, physics, and meteorology, and helps in designing optical instruments and explaining natural phenomena.
alingy1
Could you please check the following problem?
The book made an approximation. I didn't in my method. But the difference seems considerable. Did I make a mistake?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 8.42.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 8.42.30 AM.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 501
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 8.42.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 8.42.43 AM.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 504
  • Lol.jpg
    Lol.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis looks good. I think maybe the textbook was assuming a different relative orientation between the prism and the wall. See attached figure. But the problem statement is not clear on this point.

Attachments

• prism.png
    prism.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 466
EDIT: I get it now.
But, would using that approximation be fine for my picture?

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This bending occurs due to the change in speed of light when it travels from one medium to another.

2. How do prisms cause light to refract?

Prisms are made of a material, such as glass or plastic, that is denser than air. When light enters the prism, it slows down and is bent, or refracted, towards the normal line. As the light exits the prism, it speeds up and is refracted away from the normal line.

3. Why do different colors of light refract at different angles in prisms?

Each color of light has a different wavelength, which affects how it interacts with the material of the prism. Shorter wavelengths, such as blue light, are refracted more than longer wavelengths, such as red light, causing different colors to separate when passing through a prism.

4. How do prisms create rainbows?

Prisms create rainbows by separating white light into its component colors through refraction. When white light enters a prism, it is broken up into the colors of the visible spectrum. Each color is then refracted at a different angle, creating the rainbow effect.

5. What is the practical application of understanding light refraction in prisms?

Understanding light refraction in prisms is crucial in many fields, including optics, physics, and meteorology. This knowledge is used to design and improve optical instruments, such as telescopes and microscopes, and to study the behavior of light in different mediums. Additionally, understanding refraction in prisms helps in predicting and explaining natural phenomena, such as rainbows and mirages.