1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics problem --- absorbtion index

1. Jun 10, 2015 #1
    Hello
    I have an optic problem

I want to calculate absorbtion index

I know transmittance by 90% ;refraction index to material 1.586 ; thickness 2 mm ; power of source 21 lm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The transmittance of a weakly absorbing slab can be approximated by

[tex]T=\frac{(1-R^2) e^{-\alpha d}}{1-R^2 e^{-2\alpha d}}[/tex]
    where
    ##R=\left(\frac{n_0-n}{n_0+n}\right)^2##
    and α is the absorption coefficient. It is related to k, the imaginary part of the complex refractive index : ##\alpha = \frac{4 \pi k }{\lambda }##

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3

thank you for your answer but you are not specific

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is not clear? no is the refractive index of the ambient (air). n is the refractive index of the slab, d is its thickness. λ is the wavelength. k is the extinction coefficient. If you know the transmittance, the refractive index and the thickness, and taking no=1, you can calculate α. If you know α and the wavelength, you can get k. I think, it is you want to calculate.
    You need to measure the transmittance with as high accuracy as possible. At least 0.1% accuracy is needed.

6. Jun 11, 2015 #5
    now is clear thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook