Optics question - Image formation

In summary, the image distance is different for the two cases. The equation for the image distance is 1/f = 1/s + 1/(D-s), where s is the subject distance and t is the object distance. The equation for the object distance is s = +/- (sqrt(D(D-4f))+D)/2, where s is the subject distance and t is the object distance. The equation for the difference between the object distances is t - s = D.
Oshada

Homework Statement

aox0mh.jpg

Homework Equations

Thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/s + 1/s'

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to define image and object distances for both instances and equate them. Didn't work out :(

Any help is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
The object and image distances are different in those cases. What is the image distance if the object distance is s? How is related s to f and D?

ehild

I meant equating like this: apply thin lens equation twice, equate first and second instances (1/s + 1/(D-s) = 1/t + 1/(D-t), where s and t are the distances from the object to the lens). Am I on the right track?

Well, it is true but you just canceled the known f.

Express both s and t with f and find their difference.

ehild

I get t - s = sqrt(D(D-4f)) + D for some reason. If you could help me with the working out that'd be great!

How did you get it? Show in detail, please!

ehild

Sure thing:

Thin lens equation for s: 1/f = 1/s + 1/(D-s); making s the subject; s = +/- (sqrt(D(D-4f)) + D)/2. Similarly for t, t =+/- (sqrt(D(D-4f)) + D)/2. So if I take the positive (pr negative) answers for both of them t - s = 0. If I take one positive and one negative I get the answer I mentioned above.

Oshada said:
s = +/- (sqrt(D(D-4f)) + D)/2. Similarly for t, t =+/- (sqrt(D(D-4f)) + D)/2. So if I take the positive (pr negative) answers for both of them t - s = 0. If I take one positive and one negative I get the answer I mentioned above.

Take care with the parentheses. The +/- sign is in front of the square root. The solution of a quadratic equation ax2+bx+c =0 is

x12=[-b±sqrt(b2-4ac)]/(2a),

so

s=(+/- sqrt(D(D-4f))+D)/2, and the same for t.

s + t = D. So you have to choose one root for s and the other one for t.

ehild

How can we get that s + t = D? Also, I thought t - s = d? I'm a bit confused right now. Please enlighten me :biggrin:

The way of light rays is reversible. What is object in the firs case, it is image in the other case. An the object distance +image distance = D.

Anyway, you get two possible values for s, the object distance.
So you can move the lens from one to the other to get a sharp picture again. The distance between these positions is the difference between the object distances.

ehild

The image is formed on the screen on both occasions (there's a hint after the question that I didn't put up). But it certainly does look like s = t'. I'm not sure where the d is to be honest.

See the attached picture.

ehild

Attachments

• shiftlens.JPG
    shiftlens.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 430

1. How is an image formed?

When light rays pass through an object, they are either absorbed, transmitted, or reflected. In optics, an image is formed when rays of light that are reflected or transmitted from an object converge at a point or points, creating a visual representation of the object.

2. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point and can be projected onto a screen. This type of image is formed by convex lenses. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to converge at a point, but do not actually meet. This type of image is formed by concave lenses.

3. How does the position of an object affect the formation of an image?

The position of an object relative to a lens or mirror affects the size and orientation of the image formed. If the object is placed beyond the focal point of a convex lens, the image will be inverted and smaller. If the object is placed between the lens and the focal point, the image will be enlarged and upright.

4. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and form a real image. A concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and form a virtual image.

5. How does the shape of a mirror affect the image formed?

The shape of a mirror can either be convex or concave. A convex mirror reflects light rays outwards, creating a virtual image that is smaller and upright. A concave mirror reflects light rays inwards, creating a real image that can be either inverted or upright, depending on the position of the object.