Optics, reflexion over water: why?

In summary, Snell's law can be derived from Fermat's principle, which states that there is no critical angle for light to pass from one medium to another with a greater refractive index. This means that any light beam will be refracted and no part of it will be reflected.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Starting from Fermat's principle, one can reach Snell's law. In the derivation, one find that there can be a critical angle at which light doesn't pass anymore from a material to another. That is, if you consider 2 materials and the light starts in the material of greater refractive index.
For example if we have air and water. Water has a greater refractive index than air, mathematically we have [tex]n_{\text{water}}>n_{\text{air}}[/tex].
However there is no critical angle if we are in the air and throw a light beam to the water. It means that any light beams heading into the water will cross the water surface and eventually be under water' surface. Then why can we see a reflexion over water surface? It may be our own face, Sun or clouds, but there is a reflexion of light over water. How is that possible?

Science news on Phys.org
If you have light going from air to water it´s true that any incidence angle is O.K. but it doesn´t mean the total amount of energy goes into the water. At the air-boundary interface a set of boundary relationships of the electric and magnetic fields must be satisfied. The resulting set of equations (Fresnel equations) say that some energy gets into the water and some energy is reflected. That´s why you can see a reflected image.

Gordianus said:
If you have light going from air to water it´s true that any incidence angle is O.K. but it doesn´t mean the total amount of energy goes into the water. At the air-boundary interface a set of boundary relationships of the electric and magnetic fields must be satisfied. The resulting set of equations (Fresnel equations) say that some energy gets into the water and some energy is reflected. That´s why you can see a reflected image.

Ok thanks for the reply.
Does this imply that Fermat's principle is not a fundamental law of the Universe?

Snell's law only tells you about refraction, it says nothing about reflection. You can also derive the law of reflection from Fermat's principle. In that sense, Fermat's principle remains a "fundamental law."

cmos said:
Snell's law only tells you about refraction, it says nothing about reflection. You can also derive the law of reflection from Fermat's principle. In that sense, Fermat's principle remains a "fundamental law."

In fact I've derived Snell's law and the law of reflexion via Fermat's principle. But I've understood that if light passes from a medium with a refractive index into another medium with a greater refractive index, then there is no critical angle. It means that the totality of a light beam should get refracted and no partly reflected and partly reflexion as I can see with the case of air-water.

By fundamental law, I meant a law that always holds, no matter the situation.

fluidistic said:
In fact I've derived Snell's law and the law of reflexion via Fermat's principle. But I've understood that if light passes from a medium with a refractive index into another medium with a greater refractive index, then there is no critical angle. It means that the totality of a light beam should get refracted and no partly reflected and partly reflexion as I can see with the case of air-water.

By fundamental law, I meant a law that always holds, no matter the situation.

Unfortunately, that is a misunderstanding on your part then. Snell's law and the law of specular reflection make no assertions on the amount of energy transmitted and reflected. They are merely a means of deriving the path of the light. The critical angle marks the point where the path of light cannot proceed through the interface, that is the only reason why we can make any assertions about the fact that no light is transmitted.

Don't confuse total internal reflection with regular reflection. Light reflects off of mirrors, not because they are incident at angles greater than the critical angle.

You can think of total internal reflection as ANOTHER mechanism by which light rays may reflect instead of passing through the medium.

Matterwave said:
Don't confuse total internal reflection with regular reflection. Light reflects off of mirrors, not because they are incident at angles greater than the critical angle.

You can think of total internal reflection as ANOTHER mechanism by which light rays may reflect instead of passing through the medium.

Ok thanks for the information. I'm new to optics and I think I'm going to learn more about how light behaves.

1. Why does light reflect over water?

Light reflects over water due to the properties of water as a medium. When light hits the surface of water, it encounters a boundary between two media with different optical properties. This causes the light to change direction and bounce off the surface, resulting in reflection.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect reflection over water?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light hits the surface of the water, determines the angle at which the light reflects. According to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, meaning that the light will bounce off the surface of the water at the same angle it hit it.

3. Why does the reflection of light over water appear distorted?

The distortion of light reflection over water is due to the uneven surface of the water. The surface of water is not perfectly flat, with small waves or ripples constantly forming. This causes the light to reflect at different angles, resulting in a distorted or blurred image.

4. How does the color of the water affect reflection?

The color of the water can affect the reflection of light due to its optical properties. Clear water will reflect light more evenly, while murky or colored water may absorb or scatter the light, resulting in a less clear reflection. Additionally, the color of the water can also affect the color of the reflected light.

5. Can light reflect over other liquids besides water?

Yes, light can reflect over other liquids besides water. The properties of reflection over other liquids will depend on the optical properties of the specific liquid. For example, light will reflect differently over oil than it does over water due to the difference in optical density.