Optics Research: Focus Light to <5mm, Cheap Lens Solutions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
TLU SPS
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Greetings,

I am a student doing research and I have a diverging LED array light source outfitted with a diffuser and I need it to focus to a beam width of smaller than 5mm in order to image a optical trapping on a CCD camera. My apparatus has about 10cm of space underneath it, so I have to be able to fit my light source and whatever lens configuration in that 10 cm distance. Basically, I need a cheap lens solution in order to focus as much light as possible in a very small beam with a short focal length (<10cm). Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking what type of lens you need, or are you asking where you can purchase the lens you need?
 
TLU SPS said:
Greetings,

I am a student doing research and I have a diverging LED array light source outfitted with a diffuser and I need it to focus to a beam width of smaller than 5mm in order to image a optical trapping on a CCD camera. My apparatus has about 10cm of space underneath it, so I have to be able to fit my light source and whatever lens configuration in that 10 cm distance. Basically, I need a cheap lens solution in order to focus as much light as possible in a very small beam with a short focal length (<10cm). Any suggestions?
Welcome to the PF.

What is a "diverging LED array light source"? Can you Upload a sketch of your setup?