Optics with corrective eyeglasses

• Thread starter PhucMa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, corrective eyeglasses work by bending light to focus it onto the retina, correcting a variety of vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. To determine the correct prescription, an eye exam is necessary. Different types of lenses are available, and it is recommended to replace eyeglasses every 1-2 years or if there are changes in vision or discomfort while wearing them.
PhucMa

Homework Statement

Without glasses, your uncle Albert can see things clearly only if they are between 24.2 cm and 185 cm from his eyes. What power eyeglass lens will correct your uncle's myopia? Assume the lenses will sit 1.66 cm from his eyes.

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer right but I'm not sure why it was right. If someone can explain this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: -4.45 diopters (D) 1/24.2 + 1/185 = 1/f 1/f = 0.010978836 f = 90.6834 1/90.6834 + 1/d = 1/1.66 1/d = 4.45 d = -4.45 D

1. How do corrective eyeglasses work?

Corrective eyeglasses work by bending light as it passes through the lenses, which helps to focus the light onto the retina at the back of the eye. This allows the eye to see objects clearly and sharply.

2. What types of vision problems can be corrected by eyeglasses?

Eyeglasses can correct a variety of vision problems, including nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), astigmatism, and presbyopia. They can also help with more complex vision issues, such as double vision and eye teaming problems.

3. How do I know what kind of eyeglasses I need?

To determine the correct prescription for your eyeglasses, you will need to have an eye exam performed by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. They will test your visual acuity and measure the curvature of your cornea to determine the strength of lenses needed for your specific vision correction.

4. Can I get eyeglasses with different types of lenses?

Yes, there are various types of lenses available for eyeglasses, including single vision lenses, bifocal lenses, and progressive lenses. Your eye doctor can recommend the best type of lenses for your vision needs and lifestyle.

5. How often should I replace my eyeglasses?

It is recommended to replace your eyeglasses every 1-2 years, depending on your vision prescription and any changes in your vision. However, if you notice any changes in your vision or discomfort while wearing your current glasses, it is important to schedule an eye exam and potentially get new glasses sooner.