Elementary Corrective Lens Problem

In summary: I figured out the problem now.In summary, a farsighted woman with a refractive power of 1.655 diopters must hold a newspaper 39.4 cm from her eyes to read it with her old eyeglasses. When wearing these glasses, which are placed 1.90 cm from her eyes, her near point is 1.15m away. The object distance in this equation refers to the distance from the lens.
EstimatedEyes

Homework Statement

A farsighted woman breaks her current eyeglasses and is using an old pair whose refractive power is 1.655 diopters. Since these eyeglasses do not completely correct her vision, she must hold a newspaper 39.4 cm from her eyes in order to read it. She wears the eyeglasses 1.90 cm from her eyes. How far is her near point from her eyes?

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/(do) + 1/(di)

di < 0 for virtual images (what this is)

The Attempt at a Solution

do is .394m and 1/f=1.655 diopters

so 1/(1/.394m - 1.655) = di

di = 1.13m

Near Point = 1.13m + .019m = 1.15m

Where did I go wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi EsimatedEyes,

EstimatedEyes said:

Homework Statement

A farsighted woman breaks her current eyeglasses and is using an old pair whose refractive power is 1.655 diopters. Since these eyeglasses do not completely correct her vision, she must hold a newspaper 39.4 cm from her eyes in order to read it. She wears the eyeglasses 1.90 cm from her eyes. How far is her near point from her eyes?

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/(do) + 1/(di)

di < 0 for virtual images (what this is)

The Attempt at a Solution

do is .394m

What is the variable do? It is called the object distance, but what is it? In particular, what two points is it measured between? Once you answer that, I think you'll see what do needs to equal here.

I just figured out that the distance was from the lens so I kept getting it wrong because I was using the eyes value that they gave.

1. What is an "Elementary Corrective Lens Problem"?

An Elementary Corrective Lens Problem is a common issue where a person's vision is impaired due to refractive errors, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. This can be corrected by wearing glasses, contact lenses, or undergoing refractive surgery.

2. How do I know if I need corrective lenses?

If you are experiencing difficulty seeing objects at a distance or up close, or if you have frequent headaches or eye strain, you may need corrective lenses. It is important to schedule regular eye exams with an optometrist to determine your visual acuity and any potential vision problems.

3. What types of corrective lenses are available?

The most common types of corrective lenses are glasses and contact lenses. Glasses are available in single vision, bifocal, or progressive lenses, depending on the individual's specific vision needs. Contact lenses also come in different types, such as daily wear, extended wear, and toric lenses for astigmatism.

4. Can children wear corrective lenses?

Yes, children can wear corrective lenses. In fact, it is important for children with vision problems to receive proper correction to prevent further vision impairment or delays in development. Children may need to have their lenses changed more frequently as their eyes continue to grow and change.

5. Are there any risks associated with wearing corrective lenses?

Corrective lenses are generally safe to wear, but there are some potential risks. Improper use or hygiene of contact lenses can lead to eye infections. Also, some people may experience discomfort or headaches when adjusting to new glasses or contact lenses. It is important to follow the instructions of an eye care professional and properly care for your lenses to minimize any risks.