1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimal distance to accelerate projectile

1. May 3, 2015 #1
    Hi! I am recently involved in a project with a friend. We are trying to build a mass accelerator and thus, I figured that I need to know the optimal distance to place the coils and the winds on the coil. My thought was that if we place the coils too close, the coils wouldn't accelerate the projectile very far, but if it is too far, the coils won't have much influence on the projectile. Can someone please help with this? Thank you! Providing a way to figure it out would be nice!

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

At the ideal point, the force from the coils is just sufficient to get the projectile moving, assuming you can power your coils long enough. This should be easy to figure out experimentally.

4. May 3, 2015 #3
    Ok but is there anyway to mathematically calculate it?

5. May 5, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

With numerical simulations, sure. Simulations with magnetic fields influencing ferromagnetic materials tend to be complicated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook