1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization of a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A decorative window has the form of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle whose diameter is equal to the top of the rectangle. If the TOTAL perimeter of the window 16+pi, then what is the maximum area?

A. 25.653
    B. 32.148
    C. 15.923
    D. 38.047
    E. 30.018

Correct answer is A: 25.653, but explain step by step please.

2. The attempt at a solution

I completely started off on the wrong foot here.
    What I did was made the radius = x/2 where x is the total width/diameter of the rectangle/circle. Then I made the equations:

P=2∏(x/2)+2x+2y=16+pi
    A=∏(x/2)^2+xy=z

I seem to not be getting the answer after I plug everything in, so I know im starting off wrong.
    Please explain by a step-step process.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Eliminate some of your unknowns by assuming that the rectangle has a certain ratio of width to height, so that x = r*y. Then the perimeter can be expressed as a function of x, which can be substituted into the area formula.

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your formulas for P and A are wrong. Draw a carefully-labelled diagram, showing x, y, x/2, etc., and then see where your error lies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook