Simple differentiation question

In summary, the Norman window has a base of 80cm with a possible error of 0.1cm. To estimate the maximum possible error in computing the area of the window, the formula for the area was differentiated with respect to the radius and substituted with a value of 40 and a differential of 0.1. However, using a different formula, the answer was half of the initial result. This is due to the interpretation of the measurement error. Taking into account that the error in the radius is half of the error in the full side length, both methods yield the same answer.
semc
A Norman window has the shape of a square surmounted by a semicircle.
The base of the window is measured as having 80cm with a
possible error in measurement of 0.1cm. Use differentials to estimate
the maximum possible error in computing the area of the window.

So what i did was Area=4r2+0.5[tex]\pi[/tex]r2 differentiated wrt r and sub in value of r=40 and dr=0.1. However i got 32+4[tex]\pi[/tex]. If i were to use Area=r2+0.5[tex]\pi[/tex](r/2)2 and repeat the steps i would get 16 +2[tex]\pi[/tex] which is half of my initial answer. So i want to ask why can't i use the initial method? Ain't the two of them the same?

P/S I wanted to write 0.5(Pi)r^2 not 0.5^Pi(r^2) can't seem to change it. Same for the other equation Pi is not raised to the power

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on how you interpret the measurement error. If you say that the base is [tex] 80 \pm 0.1 \mathrm{cm} [/tex], then the radius should be [tex] 40 \pm 0.05 \mathrm{cm} [/tex]

clamtrox said:
I guess it depends on how you interpret the measurement error. If you say that the base is [tex] 80 \pm 0.1 \mathrm{cm} [/tex], then the radius should be [tex] 40 \pm 0.05 \mathrm{cm} [/tex]
Well it's not really a question of interpretation, but that's right... if you take into account the fact that the measurement error in the radius is half of the measurement error in the full side length, then you get the same answer no matter which formula you use.

What is simple differentiation?

Simple differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function, which represents its rate of change.

What is the purpose of differentiation?

The purpose of differentiation is to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of a function, such as its slope, concavity, and extrema. It is also used to solve optimization problems and find the tangent line to a curve.

What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations. Differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, while integration finds the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function, while integration is the process of finding the antiderivative of a function.

What are some real-world applications of differentiation?

Differentiation is used in many real-world applications, such as determining the velocity and acceleration of an object in physics, finding the marginal cost and revenue in economics, and optimizing processes in engineering. It is also used in fields such as biology, chemistry, and finance to analyze and model various phenomena.