1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization semicircle problem

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Optimization problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Norman window has the shape of a semicircle atop a rectangle so that the diameter of the smicircle is equal to the width of the rectangle. What is the area of the largest possible Norman window with a perimeter of 28 feet?

2. Relevant equations

After solving for b and plugging b into the Area formula I cannot determine the local max. Is the algebra or derivative wrong?

3. The attempt at a solution please see attachment

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    Thanks for your suggestion, the perimeter of a circle is also also pi*diameter, so then a semi-circle P=1/2pi*d. Which is what I have for the 1st equation
  4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    Solve for b: (56/4+pi)
    Insert b into the original area formula A(x) and the area of the largest possible window=54.8897ft
    The problem was set up correctly except that I rounded off to only one significant figure and that's why my original answer didn't match the answer provided in the book.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?