1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization problem (imaging science)

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume a transmission imaging system with the following parameters: focal spot PSF
    equal to a Gaussian with FWHM = 0.5 mm, a detector PSF equal to a Gaussian with
    FWHM = 0.1 mm, source-to-detector distance = 100 cm. Compute:
    1. the optimal source-to-object distance
    2. the FWHM (in mm) of the total PSF at the object plane at this optimal source-to object distance.

2. Relevant equations

a= S1/(S1+S2); b=S2/(S1+S2); where S1 is the distance from focal spot to object, S2 is the distance from the object to the detector, & S1+S2 is the distance from the focal spot to detector (100cm).

a+b=1 (S1 + S2 have to add to 100cm, the detector-source distance)

FWHM_object plane = ( (an 'a' dependent factor *FWHM_focal spot)^2 + (an 'a' dependent factor *FWHM_detector)^2)^(1/2) ==> (pythagorean, in case the text looks confusing. Hard doing this without pencil & paper).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I have to take the derivative wrt 'a' of the FWHM_obj plane equation, set it equal to 0 and solve for 'a'.

I know at this distance,'a', the PSF of the object is smallest because it's FWHM is at a minimum, making that location the optimum place to put the object.

Ultimately I'm trying to solve for S1 which I'll know once I find the value of 'a'.

The answer is supposed to come out to: 96.1cm, this is how far the object needs to be from the focal spot. And the FWHM of the object PSF is 0.98mm. I just don't know how to arrive at these numbers.

My teacher gave me the above equations, but I just don't know what the 'a' dependent factor needs to be.

And my prof. also said I didn't need to use any exponentials, even though the problem mentions gaussian functions in it.

Any help will be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?