1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization problem - minimize cost

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    Optimization problem -- minimize cost

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A motor is floating on a buoy in a large pool with a perfectly flat shoreline. The motor is 3ft from the edge of the pool. A circuit to control operation of the motor is located 100ft from the closest point of the motor to the edge of the pool. Cable must be installed to control the motor. It costs 2.50/ft to run cable underwater, and 1.50/ft to run it on land. Find the proportions (amount of cable on land and amount on water) to minimize cost.

2. Relevant equations
    Cost= (2.50w)+(1.50L) trying to minimize this function.
    where w= underwater cable length
    L= land cable length

w^2 = (100-L)^2 + 3^2 This is the "top" triangle that is formed. 3 is a fixed length, one side of the triangle. 10-L is the other side, and w is the hypotenuse.

3. The attempt at a solution

C=2.50[(100-L)^2+9]^.5 + 1.50L

Use chain rule to find C': (5/4)[(100-L)^2+9]^-.5(2L-200) + 3/2
    Set equal to zero and solve for L....right
    Rewriting this gives a rational function (because of the -1/2 power) plus a constant.

Is this correct thus far? I tried solving this by rewriting as a rational function. I know that I only need to concern myself with the numerator of rational functions to make the whole thing equal to zero, but I have that constant out there. I tried finding a common denominator, but then the only way I can make the function equal to zero is by setting length of land cable as zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Optimization problem -- minimize cost

Yes, looks good so far.

Can you get the square-root term so it's on one side of the equation, all by itself? Then you'd just need to square everything to get rid of the radical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook