Optimization problem using derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the dimensions of a conical drinking cup made out of paper that can hold 100 cubic inches of water while minimizing the surface area. The equations and attempts at solving the problem are shared, including using Wolfram Alpha to check the solution. Eventually, a simplified algebraic approach is suggested to solve the problem.
physicsernaw

Homework Statement

We want to make a conical drinking cup out of paper. It should hold exactly 100 cubic inches of water. Find the dimensions of a cup of this type that minimizes the surface area.

Homework Equations

SA = pi*r^2 + pi*r*l where l is the slant height of the cone.

V = 1/3pi*r^2*h = 100

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve l in terms of h and r.

l = sqrt(r^2 + h^2)

Then I solve h in terms of r in the volume, and I get:

h = 300/pi*r^2

plugging this equation for h back in the equation for l, I get:

l = sqrt(r^2 + 300/(pi*r^2))

SA(r) = pi*r^2 + pi*r*sqrt(r^2 + 300/(pi*r^2))

Then taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero:

SA'(r) = 2pi*r + pi*sqrt(r^2 + 300/(pi*r^2)) + 1/2*pi*r/(sqrt(r^2 + 300/(pi*r^2)))*(2r + 600/(pi*r^3)) = 0

Instead of trying to solve that ugly thing myself I plugged it into wolfram and it said no real solutions exist so I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any help pleasE?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you drink from the cup when you have the lid on?

Man, I hate math... lol. Thanks.

Is there also an easier way to do this than the way I'm doing it? I get such long, ugly derivatives and finding the zeros is really tedious and time consuming... This is an exam review problem so I don't think the problem should take this long. Is there another approach I could use?

edit: I do get the right answer though, despite it taking a long time.

1. What you consider "long time" might not be felt like "long time" by others
2. Since you haven't really, posted the manner in which you've done your algebraic manipulations, no one can give you a "short cut", because we cannot see the algebraic pathways you actually chose to walk along..

Well, let's see if I can simplify the algebra a bit, on the spur of the moment:
[tex]\frac{dl}{dr}=\frac{r+h\frac{dh}{dr}}{l}[/tex]
Thus, the optimizing equation becomes, effectively:
[tex]l+r\frac{dl}{dr}=0[/tex]
That is:
[tex]l^{2}+r^{2}+rh\frac{dh}{dr}=0 (*)[/tex]
Furthermore, we have:
[tex]\frac{dh}{dr}=-\frac{2}{r}h[/tex]
therefore, (*) transmutes to:
[tex]2r^{2}-h^{2}=0[/tex]

This ought to be correct simplfication.

Since [tex]h=\frac{3V}{\pi{r^{2}}}[/tex], we have:
[tex]r^{3}=\frac{3V}{\sqrt{2}\pi}[/tex]
that is,
[tex]r=(\frac{3}{\sqrt{2}\pi})^{\frac{1}{3}}V^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]
as our relation for minimized surface, given fixed volume of the open cone.

Last edited:
I would have never thought of doing it in that way..

Thanks for the insight and taking the time to help me..

physicsernaw said:
I would have never thought of doing it in that way..

Thanks for the insight and taking the time to help me..
Very often, retaining symbols for butt-ugly expressions will simplify the computation relative to substituting the symbol with original butt-ugliness. :smile:

What is an optimization problem using derivatives?

An optimization problem using derivatives involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function by using derivatives. This is done by finding the critical points of the function, where the derivative is equal to zero, and then determining whether these points are maximum or minimum values.

What is the purpose of using derivatives in optimization problems?

Derivatives provide information about the rate of change of a function. In optimization problems, they help us find the critical points where the function is either increasing or decreasing at its fastest rate. This allows us to determine the maximum or minimum value of the function.

How do you solve an optimization problem using derivatives?

To solve an optimization problem using derivatives, follow these steps:

• 1. Take the derivative of the function.
  • 2. Set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable.
  • 3. Check if the critical point is a maximum or minimum by plugging it into the second derivative test.
  • 4. If the critical point is a maximum or minimum, plug it back into the original function to find the maximum or minimum value.

What are some practical applications of optimization problems using derivatives?

Optimization problems using derivatives have many practical applications, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost in business and economics, maximizing efficiency in engineering and manufacturing, and minimizing error in scientific experiments and data analysis.

What are some common mistakes when solving optimization problems using derivatives?

Some common mistakes when solving optimization problems using derivatives include forgetting to take the derivative, not setting the derivative equal to zero, not checking the second derivative to determine the type of critical point, and forgetting to plug the critical point back into the original function to find the maximum or minimum value.