Optimization problem with graph

In summary, the conversation discussed the given task of finding the optimal speed for maximum fuel efficiency using a graph of fuel consumption versus speed. It was clarified that "optimal" and "maximum fuel efficiency" are the same thing. The person also mentioned understanding optimization using the first derivative but having difficulty with only a graph. It was suggested to use the zero points on the derivative graph to optimize fuel efficiency, as these points correspond to horizontal tangents on the original graph.
2000xjclassic

Homework Statement

We are given a graph of gallons of fuel per hour versus miles per hour and asked what speed should be used to maximize fuel efficiency and also what is the optimal speed(are these two the same thing).

Homework Equations

I understand optimization using the first derivitive when given an equation, I am having a problem with figuring out what to do with only a graph

The Attempt at a Solution

I have graphed the first derivitive. should I use the zero points from the first derivitive graph to optimize the fuel efficiency?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
2000xjclassic said:

Homework Statement

We are given a graph of gallons of fuel per hour versus miles per hour and asked what speed should be used to maximize fuel efficiency and also what is the optimal speed(are these two the same thing).
"Optimal" simply means "best". IF "optimal" here means "best fuel efficiency", then they are the same.

Homework Equations

I understand optimization using the first derivitive when given an equation, I am having a problem with figuring out what to do with only a graph

The Attempt at a Solution

I have graphed the first derivitive. should I use the zero points from the first derivitive graph to optimize the fuel efficiency?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Yes, the max or min points will be where the first derivative is 0. I don't know that you really needed to graph the entire derivative. The derivative will be 0 where the original graph has a horizontal tangent.

1. What is an optimization problem with graph?

An optimization problem with graph refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, subject to a set of constraints, by using a graph to visualize the problem.

2. How is a graph used in an optimization problem?

A graph is used in an optimization problem to plot the function that needs to be optimized, along with any constraints or boundaries that need to be considered. This allows for a better understanding of the problem and helps in finding the optimal solution.

3. What is the difference between a local and global optimum in an optimization problem with graph?

A local optimum refers to the highest or lowest point on a specific part of the graph, while a global optimum is the highest or lowest point on the entire graph. In an optimization problem, the goal is usually to find the global optimum.

4. What are some common methods used to solve optimization problems with graphs?

Some common methods used to solve optimization problems with graphs include the gradient descent method, the simplex method, and the branch and bound method. These methods use different approaches to find the optimal solution.

5. How is an optimization problem with graph applied in real life?

Optimization problems with graphs are widely used in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and data analysis. They can be used to find the best design for a product, the most efficient route for transportation, or the optimal allocation of resources, among other applications.