Optimizing Charging RC Circuits: Lowering Time Constant for Faster Charging

In summary, to maintain the same maximum current but lower the time constant of a charging RC circuit, the correct option is to decrease the resistance (option D). This will result in a larger maximum current and a shorter charging time.
kimberlyann9

Homework Statement

You need to modify a simple charging RC circuit (power supply, resistor, and capacitor in series) to maintain the same maximum current but lower the the time constant and make it charge faster. Which of the following will accomplish it?

A) Same R, lower C.
B) Same R, higher C.
C) Higher R, same C.
D) Lower R, same C.
E) Lower R, lower C.

Homework Equations

I=V/R*(1-e^(-t/RC)) for a charging RC circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

In my textbook, it says that resistance is small, than it's easier for current to flow. I think the answer is D, but someone else told me A. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
kimberlyann9 said:

Homework Statement

You need to modify a simple charging RC circuit (power supply, resistor, and capacitor in series) to maintain the same maximum current but lower the the time constant and make it charge faster. Which of the following will accomplish it?

A) Same R, lower C.
B) Same R, higher C.
C) Higher R, same C.
D) Lower R, same C.
E) Lower R, lower C.

Homework Equations

I=V/R*(1-e^(-t/RC)) for a charging RC circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

In my textbook, it says that resistance is small, than it's easier for current to flow. I think the answer is D, but someone else told me A. Can someone help?

If the resistance is made smaller, won't the maximum current be larger?

You have two requirements:
1) That maximum current stay the same, and
2) That the time constant be reduced.

1) What are the factors that determine maximum current?
1a) What must be done to keep maximum current the same?

2) What are the factors that determine charging time?
2a) Keeping the solution of 1a, what can you do to shorten the charging time?

Related to Optimizing Charging RC Circuits: Lowering Time Constant for Faster Charging

1. What is a simple charging RC circuit?

A simple charging RC circuit is a circuit that consists of a resistor and a capacitor connected in series. When the circuit is connected to a power source, the capacitor begins to charge, and the voltage across the capacitor increases until it reaches the same value as the source voltage.

2. How does a simple charging RC circuit work?

When a simple charging RC circuit is connected to a power source, the voltage across the capacitor initially starts at 0 and gradually increases until it reaches the same value as the source voltage. The capacitor charges because the current flowing through the circuit is impeded by the resistor, causing a buildup of charge on the capacitor plates.

3. What is the time constant of a simple charging RC circuit?

The time constant of a simple charging RC circuit is the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values in the circuit. It represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of the source voltage.

4. How can I calculate the voltage across the capacitor in a simple charging RC circuit?

The voltage across the capacitor in a simple charging RC circuit can be calculated using the equation Vc = Vsource(1-e^(-t/RC)), where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor, Vsource is the source voltage, t is time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

5. What are some practical applications of simple charging RC circuits?

Simple charging RC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to regulate voltage levels and to filter out unwanted signals. They are also used in timing circuits, such as in a camera's flash or in an electronic timer. Additionally, simple charging RC circuits are used in power supplies to smooth out fluctuations in the input voltage.