1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behaviour of a RC circuit charging

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circuit is powered by a 10 V power supply and has a resistor of 500 ohms in series with a capacitor. After 4 seconds, the value of ln(1-(Vc/Vo)) is -2, where Vc is the voltage in the capacitor at a given time and Vo is 10 V.

1) Find the capacitance.
    2) Find how long it takes for the potential difference across the capacitor to rise from 0 V to 4 V.

2. Relevant equations

Vc = Vo(1 - e^(-t/RC))
    Tau = RC

3. The attempt at a solution
    ln(1-(Vc/Vo))/t = -2/4 = 0.5

Let's try to figure out what this represents
    Vc = Vo(1 - e^(-t/RC))
    ln Vc = ln Vo(1 - e^(-t/RC))
    ln Vc = ln Vo + ln(1 - e^(-t/RC))
    ln Vc - ln Vo = ln(1 - e^(-t/RC))
    Vc/Vo = 1 - e^(-t/RC)
    e^(-t/RC) = 1 - Vc/Vo
    -t/RC = ln(1 - Vc/Vo)
    -1/RC = ln(1 - Vc/Vo)/t = -0.5

So I have 1/RC = 0.5, therefore the time constant Tau = RC = 2 seconds.

1) (500)(C) = 2 -> Capacitance = 0.004 F

2) If -t/RC = ln(1 - Vc/Vo) then
    t = -RC*ln(1 - Vc/v0) = -2*ln(1-4/10) = 1.021 seconds.

Is this correct? I've been told that I have a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This whole thing was not needed...

Except for the missing parentheses, everything is correct.

ehild

4. Oct 25, 2011 #3
    Oops... sorry, I typed it up because I had written it, and I forgot the parenthesis :smile:

I only had the formula for voltage when discharging, so I thought I had to figure out what ln(1-Vc/Vo) meant before I could use it. Thanks for going through it, I will ask my instructor again.

5. Oct 25, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a rounding error. T=1.02165 s which has to be rounded to t=1.022 s, if you give the result with 3 decimals.

ehild

6. Oct 25, 2011 #5
    Thanks, but it isn't an online homework problem, the instructor told me the working is incorrect. I'll ask him again when I next see him.

7. Oct 25, 2011 #6
    You seem to be junior member like me.
    Have you read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951 [Broken].
    When i read your answer it was to cumbersome that's why i give you this link. If you use tex tags then it became easy to understand what you have written.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Oct 25, 2011 #7
    Thanks, I ought to learn LaTeX, but the equations I used didn't have many terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook