Option to notify others about a revision in one's post

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter blue_leaf77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    edit
In summary: I wouldn't call it arrogance. When you tell something to someone and then realize that it was incorrect, you can feel bad :oops: and want to make sure that they don't act on the wrong info.It's more like a polite gesture to ensure that the information is accurate.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sometimes you realize you made mistakes or wanted to add something more to make your message more transparent in the response you have posted. We can do that using "edit" function. Just that, if the revision concerns something essential (e.g. typo or technical mistakes in equations) for the upcoming discussions, the other participants of the thread are better notified about. It may not necessarily be all participants, only those whom the revision maker thinks should know (e.g. the OP in an homework thread). For this purpose, what if something like "notify about the revisions" option is added whenever one makes an errata where he/she can specify which thread participants should be notified?

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a way to do this "manually." After editing, you can add an additional post mentioning that you have correct your previous post, so that an alert gets issued. Also, when you edit your post, you can add in the text window a comment about the edit you did, so that it is clear that the post was changed.

We'll see if @Greg Bernhardt can implement your idea.

Some thoughts:
I'd put a major modification following the main body - unless it's a short thread or there are yet no replies.
I may edit a long reply and add a heads up at the end of the thread.
Either approach notifies everyone who has asked to be notified.
If they don't think a notification is relevant to them, they are free to ignore it: isn't it arrogant to take that decision away from them?
A modification that I think is only really relevant to one or two people I will make in private. This is pretty rare.
Usually I will write for people who may google to the thread some time later as well as the OP.

A notification: "<membername> has edited her post in a thread you are following, reason: <reason>" coming up atomatically with an edit may be slightly more useful than the notifications about likes.

Simon Bridge said:
If they don't think a notification is relevant to them, they are free to ignore it: isn't it arrogant to take that decision away from them?
I wouldn't call it arrogance. When you tell something to someone and then realize that it was incorrect, you can feel bad :oops: and want to make sure that they don't act on the wrong info.

Sure - but I was responding to the part about not notifying everyone... this struck me as the principle difference with what happens now.
Right now it's nobody if you choose "edit" and everybody if you choose to add errata at the end of the thread.

Likes gracy
DrClaude said:
After editing, you can add an additional post mentioning that you have correct your previous post, so that an alert gets issued. Also, when you edit your post, you can add in the text window a comment about the edit you did, so that it is clear that the post was changed.
The thing is a thread can progress so as to invite a stack of posts. In that case, I don't think the thread participants will still have the desire to scroll up to happen to spot a post with "Edit: ..." that was not previously existing unless he/she is notified that a certain post has been changed for a nontrivial reason.
Simon Bridge said:
A notification: "<membername> has edited her post in a thread you are following, reason: <reason>" coming up atomatically with an edit may be slightly more useful than the notifications about likes.
Something like that will probably do.

1. What is the purpose of the "Option to notify others about a revision in one's post"?

The purpose of this option is to inform other users about changes made to a post. This can be useful for collaboration or to keep others updated on new information.

2. How do you activate the "Option to notify others about a revision in one's post"?

The specific steps to activate this option may vary depending on the platform or website, but generally, there should be a button or checkbox labeled "Notify others of revision" or something similar. This can usually be found when editing or updating a post.

3. Who will be notified when the "Option to notify others about a revision in one's post" is activated?

The users who will be notified may also vary depending on the platform, but usually, it will be the users who have interacted with the post or are following the post or its creator. Some platforms also allow you to select specific users to notify.

4. Can you turn off the "Option to notify others about a revision in one's post" after it has been activated?

Yes, you can usually turn off this option even after it has been activated. This can be done by going back to the post and unchecking the notification button or checkbox. However, keep in mind that this may only prevent future notifications and not retract the ones that have already been sent.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using the "Option to notify others about a revision in one's post"?

One potential drawback is that it may flood other users' notifications or inboxes with unnecessary updates. It is important to use this option responsibly and only when necessary to avoid annoying or overwhelming other users. Additionally, some users may not want to be constantly notified about minor revisions, so it is important to consider the relevance and significance of the update before activating this option.