Oral Examinations for Masters Degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the option of a non-thesis program for a Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering, which requires passing an oral examination. The individual inquiring about the program also asks about the type of questions that may be asked and if the school offers a PhD degree. It is mentioned that some schools may use their PhD qualifying exam as their MS comprehensive exam. The website of the school in question states that the comprehensive exam for the non-thesis option is an oral exam conducted by a committee of faculty members. The result of the exam is communicated to the Director of Graduate Studies.
Freyster98
I'm looking into programs for my Master's in Aerospace Engineering, and have noticed that I could do a non-thesis program where I would need to pass an oral examination. Has anyone done this option, and if so, what type of questions are asked? I would guess they would need to be theory based as opposed to problem-solving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this school offer a PhD degree? It's not uncommon for schools that offer a PhD to use their PhD qualifying exam (with orals) as their MS comprehensive exam. If so, the questions are taken from "whatever comes into the committee's heads". It can be a very stressful experience.

Yes, they do offer a PhD, but based off the info about their PhD program, they are separate exams.

From their website...

"The comprehensive exam for the All-Course option is an oral exam in the area of the student's specialization conducted by a committee of at least two faculty members of the department. Upon approval from the Director of Graduate Studies the student forms the examination committee, and arranges for notice of the exam to be sent to all faculty members of the department at least one week in advance. Any faculty member may attend the exam. The result of the exam is to be communicated by the examination committee to the Director of Graduate Studies.

1. What is an oral examination for a Masters degree?

An oral examination, also known as a viva voce or thesis defense, is a formal assessment of a student's research and understanding of their chosen field of study. It typically takes place at the end of a Masters degree program and is conducted by a panel of experts in the field.

2. How long does an oral examination for a Masters degree usually last?

The length of an oral examination can vary, but on average it lasts for 1-2 hours. However, this can depend on the complexity of the research topic and the number of questions asked by the panel.

3. What should I expect during an oral examination for a Masters degree?

In general, you can expect to present your research findings and answer questions from the panel. The questions may cover various aspects of your research, including methodology, results, and conclusions. You may also be asked to defend your work against potential criticisms.

4. How should I prepare for an oral examination for a Masters degree?

To prepare for an oral examination, you should thoroughly review and understand your research and be prepared to discuss it in depth. It can also be helpful to practice presenting your research to friends or colleagues and to anticipate potential questions that may be asked by the panel.

5. What happens after an oral examination for a Masters degree?

After the oral examination, the panel will deliberate and determine whether you have met the requirements for a Masters degree. They may also provide feedback on your research and suggest areas for improvement. If you are successful, you will be awarded your degree and can begin your career in your chosen field.