ORBIT: change in orbital distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Earth's rotation and the orbit of the Moon. Due to tidal friction, the Earth's rotation is slowing down and this affects the Moon's orbit by speeding it up. This is because the tidal bulge created by the Earth's rotation causes a torque that transfers angular momentum from the Earth to the Moon. By assuming a circular orbit for the Moon, conservation of angular momentum can be used to find the final orbital distance between the Earth and Moon.
FruitNinja

Homework Statement

we know the mass of the moon, Mm, and the Earth's, Me, and also the initial distance between their centers as the moon orbits the earth, Rem.

Now if the earth’s angular velocity about its own axis is slowing down from a initial given angular velocity, ωi to a final angular velocity (due to tidal friction), ωf

Find the final orbital distance between the Earth and moon as a consequence. Ignore the rotation of the moon about its own axis and treat it as a point object in circular orbit about the center of a fixed (but spinning) earth.

Homework Equations

t=Iα torque

L=Iω or r x p angular momentum

T=2π √ r3/GM orbital period

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not conceptually understand why a change in the Earth's rotation would even change the radius of the moon's orbit around the earth. From the 3rd equation I wrote we see that r does not depend on the Earth's rotation. Why would it even make a difference how fast Earth is rotating?

Physics news on Phys.org
FruitNinja said:
I do not conceptually understand why a change in the Earth's rotation would even change the radius of the moon's orbit around the earth. From the 3rd equation I wrote we see that r does not depend on the Earth's rotation. Why would it even make a difference how fast Earth is rotating?
Friction. The tidal bulge that's induced on the Earth due to the Moon's gravitational influence (and to a lesser extent the Sun's, too) is dragged slightly by the friction between the ocean water and the rotating Earth. So the bulge is always being pulled ahead of the Earth-Moon line by friction. (The bulge reforms continuously, but the dragging is continuous, too). This slightly off-centerline mass produces a torque via gravitational pull between it and the Moon. The torque tends to slow the Earth's rotation and speed up the Moon in its orbit. In effect, the bulge couples the Earth's rotation to the Moon so that angular momentum can be "moved" from the Earth's rotation to the Moon's orbit.

gneill said:
Friction. The tidal bulge that's induced on the Earth due to the Moon's gravitational influence (and to a lesser extent the Sun's, too) is dragged slightly by the friction between the ocean water and the rotating Earth. So the bulge is always being pulled ahead of the Earth-Moon line by friction. (The bulge reforms continuously, but the dragging is continuous, too). This slightly off-centerline mass produces a torque via gravitational pull between it and the Moon. The torque tends to slow the Earth's rotation and speed up the Moon in its orbit. In effect, the bulge couples the Earth's rotation to the Moon so that angular momentum can be "moved" from the Earth's rotation to the Moon's orbit.

Oh I understand how the Earth slows down now. But why does this affect the moon's orbit? Because the force of gravity doesn't change because the Earth does not become more massive or something

FruitNinja said:
Oh I understand how the Earth slows down now. But why does this affect the moon's orbit? Because the force of gravity doesn't change because the Earth does not become more massive or something
The bulge pulls the Moon forward in its orbit, speeding it up.

gneill said:
The bulge pulls the Moon forward in its orbit, speeding it up.

Because the Earth would not be a perfect sphere anymore right?

So would I use momentum conservation in this one with the moon being r x p?

FruitNinja said:
Because the Earth would not be a perfect sphere anymore right?
Right.
So would I use momentum conservation in this one with the moon being r x p?
Yes, conservation of angular momentum is the right approach.

Ok, I came up with this: but I don't know the initial/final velocities of the moon. I could use 2 pi r / T if I was given T but I am notr x p = rp (since right angle)

Iω + r x p = Iω + r x p
IEarth ωearth initial + dinitial vinitial mmoon = IEarth ωearth final + dinitial vfinal mmoon

If you assume that the Moon's orbit is always approximately circular (that is, assume that the change in the Moon's orbital radius is very slow and remains essentially circular over time), then you should be able to find an expression for the velocity of an object in a circular orbit that you can apply. Hint: the velocity depends upon the mass of the primary and the orbital radius.

Likes FruitNinja
gneill said:
If you assume that the Moon's orbit is always approximately circular (that is, assume that the change in the Moon's orbital radius is very slow and remains essentially circular over time), then you should be able to find an expression for the velocity of an object in a circular orbit that you can apply. Hint: the velocity depends upon the mass of the primary and the orbital radius.

Yes, doing f=ma I got v^2 =GM/r. Now I have v in terms of r, G, & m.

This must be it. So now I would be able to use conservation of angular momentum

FruitNinja said:
This must be it. So now I would be able to use conservation of angular momentum
Yes.

Likes FruitNinja
gneill said:
Yes.

Thank you for the help gneill!
I'll try that when I get the chance.

1. What is ORBIT and how does it change?

ORBIT refers to the path that an object takes around a larger object, such as a planet around a star. The distance of this path can change due to various factors, such as gravitational pull from other objects or changes in the object's velocity.

2. How does a change in orbital distance affect an object?

A change in orbital distance can have various effects on an object, depending on the magnitude of the change. For example, if the orbital distance increases, the object may experience a decrease in gravitational pull and therefore its orbit may become more elliptical. If the orbital distance decreases, the object may experience an increase in gravitational pull and its orbit may become more circular.

3. What causes a change in orbital distance?

A change in orbital distance can be caused by a number of factors. Some possible causes include interactions with other objects, such as gravitational pull from nearby planets or moons, or changes in the object's velocity due to external forces, such as thrust from a rocket.

4. Can a change in orbital distance be predicted?

Yes, a change in orbital distance can be predicted using mathematical equations and models. However, due to the complex nature of orbital dynamics, these predictions may not always be exact and can be affected by various factors such as the presence of other objects or external forces.

5. How does a change in orbital distance impact the overall orbit of a system?

A change in orbital distance can have a significant impact on the overall orbit of a system. For example, a change in one object's orbital distance can affect the orbits of other objects within the system, leading to changes in the overall stability and dynamics of the system.