Order of courses for self-learning?

In summary, Andrew, a high school junior, plans to pursue a doctorate degree in Theoretical Physics with a focus on Quantum Physics. He has taken up self-learning to supplement his school's curriculum and is eager to start learning more. He asks for advice on the order in which classes should be taken in college for a better understanding of the subject. He also suggests checking college websites for recommended course sequences and pre-requisites.
Etheryte
Hi there!

My name is Andrew, and I am currently a high school junior. I aspire pursue a doctorate degree in Theoretical Physics, specializing in Quantum Physics for thesis, and hopefully becoming a researcher in the field.

My small dilemma is that schools become awfully tiresome, and the curriculum my school has set up doesn't teach me as much as I want to truly know, so I've taken up self-learning on the side. I really want to start learning more as soon as possible, because I've truly grown a very deep devotions for the subject.

Would you happen to know the order in which classes are taught in college — or better yet, the order in which a dedicated individual should learn the subjects (Mechanics, then Electrodynamics, Optics, etc.)?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tip: college web sites often list recommended course sequences for physics (and other) majors. Detailed course listings usually show the pre-requisites for each course.

What is the best order of courses for self-learning?

The best order of courses for self-learning depends on individual learning styles and goals. Some may prefer to start with the basics and gradually move to more advanced topics, while others may prefer to jump right into the most challenging courses. It is important to choose courses that align with your interests and build upon each other to avoid feeling overwhelmed or lost.

Should I focus on one subject or take a variety of courses?

This also depends on individual preferences and goals. Focusing on one subject can help you become an expert in that area, while taking a variety of courses can broaden your knowledge and skills. It is recommended to have a balance of both depth and breadth in your self-learning journey.

How do I know if a course is reputable and high-quality?

There are a few ways to determine the quality and reputation of a course. You can read reviews from previous students, research the instructor's background and qualifications, and look for any accreditations or certifications the course may have. It is also helpful to preview the course materials and syllabus to see if it aligns with your learning goals.

Is it better to take online courses or in-person courses?

This again depends on personal preferences and availability. Online courses offer flexibility and convenience, while in-person courses provide opportunities for hands-on learning and face-to-face interaction with the instructor and other students. It is recommended to consider the pros and cons of each option and choose what works best for you.

How many courses should I take at once?

This varies for each individual and depends on the complexity of the courses and your personal schedule. It is important to not overwhelm yourself and to have a realistic workload. Starting with one or two courses and gradually adding more as you become comfortable is a good approach. It is also important to take breaks and not overwork yourself.