Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order parameter of charge density wave in one dimension

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    In one dimensional electron gas in charge density wave phase, as I know , the density of electrons will be periodic. The order parameter of charge density wave is written as
    For Luttinger model, the \psi is the Fermion annihilation field operator.
    I am not very familiar with Luttinger liquid, I try to understand why the order parameter of CDW would be written in this form. If I try to construct an order parameter for CDW by myself, I would guess the Fourier transform of electron density will be a feature for CDW, but I don't know the periodicity of the CDW. If the order parameter is correct, for CDW with any periodicity, I should find that <O_{CDW}>=1. I am not able to construct such order parameter by myself.
    I can't understand why the order parameter will be the summation of
    , it seems odd for me. Creating a right-moving electron and destroy a left-moving electron?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2
    It does indeed seem odd. Are you sure the hermitian conjugate isn't present?
  4. Aug 16, 2008 #3
    Yes, I copy the definition from J.Voits onedimensional fermi liquid p.1008

I try to start from the density operator [tex]\rho(q)=\sum_k c_{k-q}^{\dagger}c_k[/tex].
    Then, decompose the Fermion operator[tex]c_k=\Theta(k)c_{R,k}+\Theta(-k)c_{L,k}[/tex].
    Insert the relation into the density operator and expand it, I get four different kind of terms, with the same chirality or different chirality. After the Fourier transform, I think it is less odd for me.
    The term[tex]c_{R,k-q}^{\dagger}c_{L,k}[/tex]seems to be the term [tex]\psi_R(x)^{\dagger}\psi_L(x)[/tex], but it is only for [tex]q\sim-2k_F[/tex].
    The CDW order parameter seems to include only this kind of term. I guess it is because the Hermitian conjugate only present the term with [tex]q\sim2k_F[/tex], which just shows the same periodicity of CDW in real space.

Except that, after I expand the density operator in this way, terms with the same chirality will be [tex]\rho_R(x)+\rho_L(x)[/tex] which will not give periodicity in real space, since the momentum is "almost" conserved. So the density modulation must comes from the cross term(momentum is not conserved<>translational invariance breaks.), which shows in the original question.
    Then I am confused again, does that mean the momentum transfer, q, can only be [tex]0,\pm2k_F,\pm4k_F,...\pm2^nk_F[/tex] which means in one-dimensional fermion, the allowed periodicity for CDW is restrict to be some specific value?
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?