1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Order Statistics, Unbiasedness, and Expected Values

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let Y1, Y2, ..., Yn denote a random sample from the uniform distribution on the interval ([tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\theta + 1[/tex]). Let [tex]\hat{\theta} = Y_{(n)} - \frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]

Show that [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] is an unbiased estimator for [tex]\theta[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Well, to check for unbiasedness, E([tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex]) should = [tex]\theta[/tex].

The difficulty for me arises when calculating [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex], needed to find E[[tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex]]. The interval ([tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\theta + 1[/tex]) seems to make this integral very complicated:

[tex]E[\hat{\theta}][/tex] = [tex]\int^{\theta + 1}_{\theta} yg_{(n)}(y)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to find [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex], which I thought to be [tex]ny^{n-1}[/tex], but according to our solutions manual, it's actually [tex]n(y-\theta)^{n-1}[/tex], which I have no idea how that is concluded. And even if that is the true value of [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex], the integral is still looking very daunting.

Any help? Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

I am not quite sure what [itex]g_n(y)[/itex] is so you will have to explain why you thought it would equal [itex]n y^{n-1}[/itex]. As for the integral it is not so hard. You can solve it by partial integration.

\int_{\theta}^{\theta+1} ny(y-\theta)^{n-1}dy=y (y-\theta)^n ]_\theta^{\theta+1}-\int_{\theta}^{\theta+1} (y-\theta)^n dy
  4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    Oh, [tex]g_{(n)}(y)[/tex] is the density function for [tex]Y_{(n)}[/tex]=max(Y1, Y2, ..., Yn)

[tex]g_{(n)}(y) = n[F(Y)]^{n-1}*f(y)[/tex], where F(Y) is the distribution function of Y and f(y) is the density function. Since the bounds are theta and theta plus one, I assumed that f(y), by definition, is 1/(theta + one - theta), which equals one. If f(y) = 1, then F(Y) = y + C. I'm starting to think that the plus C would be -(theta).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?