Ordinary Diff Eq. - Help with Calculus

In summary, an ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena and can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables and integrating factors. The main difference between an ODE and a partial differential equation (PDE) is that an ODE involves one independent variable while a PDE involves multiple. Initial or boundary conditions are necessary for solving ODEs as they provide specific values for the function and its derivatives. ODEs have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology, and are also used in control theory and signal processing.
arenaninja

Homework Statement

Hey all. I'm having issues with a few Diff. Eq. problems. I think I'm screwing up at the point of u-substitution, but I do not know for sure.

Homework Equations

I'm evaluating: (x2 + x3)*integral (x4/(x4+2x5+x6)

The Attempt at a Solution

I eliminate x4 inside the integral and evaluate:
x*(x+1)*integral(dx/(x+1)2)
= x2*(x+1)/-(x+1). Cancel out (x+1), and my answer is
= -x2.

However, the back of the book says the answer should be x2 (positive). Can anyone point out as to what I'm doing wrong? I've gotten a few of these wrong, usually because they are in the denominator and I do u-substitution.

P.S.: If anyone has a link on how to use Latex Reference, it'd be greatly appreciated. I tried a few things and could not get it to work, for the life of me.
Latex text: [tex]y_2[/tex]

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
arenaninja said:

Homework Statement

Hey all. I'm having issues with a few Diff. Eq. problems. I think I'm screwing up at the point of u-substitution, but I do not know for sure.

Homework Equations

I'm evaluating: (x2 + x3)*integral (x4/(x4+2x5+x6)

The Attempt at a Solution

I eliminate x4 inside the integral and evaluate:
x*(x+1)*integral(dx/(x+1)2)
First problem is in the line above. x2 + x3 = x2(1 + x).
arenaninja said:
= x2*(x+1)/-(x+1). Cancel out (x+1), and my answer is
= -x2.
Next problem is above. You are treating (x + 1) as if it were a constant, but it isn't. You can't cancel an (x + 1) factor outside the integral with one in the denominator of the integrand.

You need to evaluate
[tex]x^2(1 + x) \int \frac{dx}{(x + 1)^2}[/tex]

A simple substitution will work here.

arenaninja said:
However, the back of the book says the answer should be x2 (positive). Can anyone point out as to what I'm doing wrong? I've gotten a few of these wrong, usually because they are in the denominator and I do u-substitution.

P.S.: If anyone has a link on how to use Latex Reference, it'd be greatly appreciated. I tried a few things and could not get it to work, for the life of me.

Many thanks.

I agree with Cyosis that the answer you got is correct.
[tex]x^2(1 + x) \int \frac{dx}{(x + 1)^2} = -x^2 + C[/tex]

I might have misunderstood what you cancelled, thinking that you canceled something inside the integrand with something outside it.

Hey guys. Sorry but it's difficult for me to format the problem correctly. I'm not being lazy intentionally, I'm just very frustrated from not getting a very cool feature to work right. After one hour I've figured out I need to clear my cache each time I need to preview (before all I was getting was "2y"). Now onto the problem.

The problem is an ODE - Constructing a 2nd solution from a known solution, where if you have an equation in standard form: [tex]y^{''} + P(x)y^{'} + Q(x)y = 0[/tex], and we know a solution [tex]y_1[/tex], a second solution [tex]y_2[/tex] is given by:

[tex]y_2 = y_1 \int \frac{e^{- \int {P(x)dx}}}{y_1^2}dx[/tex].

The equation I am given is:
[tex]x^2y^{''} - 4xy^{'} + 6y = 0[/tex]
In standard form:
[tex]y^{''} - \frac {4{y^{'}}}{x} + \frac{6y}{x^2} = 0 [/tex]

Evaluate [tex]e^{-\int {P(x)dx}} = e^{- \int {\frac {-4}{x}}dx} = e^{4 ln x} = x^4[/tex]

Now to get y2:
[tex]y_2 = (x^2 + x^3) \int {\frac {x^4}{\left({x^2 + x^3}\right)^2}}dx[/tex]
I expand the denominator inside the integral:
[tex]y2 = (x^2 + x^3) \int {\frac {x^4 dx}{x^6 + 2x^{5} + x^{4}}}[/tex]
factoring out [tex]x^4[/tex] in order to cancel:
[tex]y2 = (x^2 + x^3) \int {\frac {x^4 dx}{x^4 \left(x^2 + 2x + 1 \right)}}[/tex]
and the expression simplifies to:
[tex]y_2 = (x^2 + x^3) \int {\frac {dx}{\left({x+1}\right)^2}}[/tex]
which evaluates to:
[tex]y_2 = \frac {x^2 \left (x+1 \right)}{- \left(x+1 \right)}[/tex]
and this yields:
[tex]y_2 = -x^2[/tex]

Again, my issue is that the answer in the back of the book is the negative of this. This is the third answer or so that evalutes to the negative of the real answer, so I figure I must be doing some systematic error.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
One way to check is to see if your solution satisfies the d.e., which is something you probably don't need to do if your answer agrees with the one in the book, but you should do if the two answers don't agree.

In this case, both your answer and the one in the book satisfy the d.e. The reason is that for y2, any multiple of x2 (including the -1 multiple) is a solution, and this is due in part to a constant of integration that wasn't included somewhere, and also because the d.e. is homogeneous.

substituting the negative and positive into the original equation, both are solutions.

don't 2nd order differential equations have solutions of the form,

y = c_1 * y_1(x) + c_2 * y_2(x)

if y_1 and y_2 are solutions?

edit: ahhh, Mark44 beat me to it!

Last edited:
Guys thanks for the help. I had forgotten all about the general solution, so now I see that they just chose to write the solutions as a positive multiple of [tex]y_2[/tex].

Thanks!

BTW, I forgot to mention that the site has been experiencing problems of not rendering correctly when you click the Preview button. I'm pretty sure people are working on fixing the problem.

1. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is commonly used to model physical phenomena such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. What is the difference between an ODE and a partial differential equation (PDE)?

The main difference between an ODE and a PDE is that an ODE involves only one independent variable, while a PDE involves multiple independent variables. In other words, an ODE describes a relationship between a function and its derivatives with respect to a single variable, while a PDE describes a relationship between a function and its derivatives with respect to multiple variables.

3. How do you solve an ordinary differential equation?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series. The method used depends on the type of ODE and its initial or boundary conditions. Some ODEs may also require numerical methods for approximation.

4. What is the role of initial or boundary conditions in solving ODEs?

Initial or boundary conditions are necessary for solving ODEs because they provide specific values for the unknown function and its derivatives at a given point or interval. These conditions are often given in the form of values or relationships that the function must satisfy at a specific point or interval in order to obtain a unique solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of ordinary differential equations?

ODEs are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and analyze real-life phenomena. Some examples include modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, and designing electrical circuits. ODEs are also commonly used in control theory and signal processing for systems with time-varying behavior.