Ordinary Differential Equations

In summary, to find the general solution of the given differential equation using variation of parameters, one must first find the solutions for the homogeneous equation, which are given by y_1 (x) = cos(3ln(x)) and y_2 (x) = sin(3ln(x)). Then, g(x) must be transformed into g(x) = -tan(3ln(x))/x^2. The formula for variation of parameters can then be applied to find the general solution.
NeoDevin

Homework Statement

Use variation of parameters to find the general solution of:

[tex] x^2 y'' + xy' + 9y = -tan(3ln(x)) [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]y_p = y_2 (x) \int \frac{y_1 (x) g(x)}{W[y_1 (x),y_2 (x)]} dx - y_1 (x) \int \frac{y_2 (x) g(x)}{W[y_1 (x),y_2 (x)]} dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution for the homogeneous Euler equation is given by
[tex]
y_1 (x) = cos(3ln(x)), y_2 (x) = sin(3ln(x))
[/tex]

I try using these solutions in the equation for variation of parameters with:
[tex] W[y_1 , y_2] = \frac{3}{x} [/tex]
[tex] g(x) = -tan(3ln(x)) [/tex]

The first term I can evaluate, but the second term gives me:
[tex] y_1 (x) \int \frac{x sin^2 (3ln(x))}{3 cos(3ln(x))} dx [/tex]

which doesn't seem solvable by any methods I know...

Any suggestions on what to do from here, or where I went wrong on the way would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to set it up as y" +... to use your variation of parameters formula

so the solutions for the homogeneous equation are the same, right? but I need to divide through by [itex] x^2 [/itex] before I apply the formula? so
g(x) becomes:

[tex] g(x) = -\frac{tan(3ln(x))}{x^2} [/tex]

1. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space, based on the values of the function and its derivatives at a given point.

2. What are some real-world applications of ODEs?

ODEs are used to model a variety of phenomena in science and engineering, such as population growth, radioactive decay, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields like economics, biology, and physics to study and predict the behavior of complex systems.

3. How do you solve an ODE?

The method for solving an ODE depends on its type. Some ODEs can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques, while others require numerical methods to obtain an approximate solution. The solution to an ODE is typically expressed as a function of the independent variable, with a set of initial conditions.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

The main difference between the two is the number of independent variables. An ODE involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves two or more independent variables. Additionally, the derivatives in a PDE can be partial derivatives, while the derivatives in an ODE are ordinary derivatives.

5. What are some common methods for solving ODEs numerically?

Some common numerical methods for solving ODEs include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the finite difference method. These methods involve approximating the derivatives in the ODE using a discrete set of points and then solving for the values of the function at these points. They are useful for solving ODEs that do not have an analytical solution.