Oregon State VS Arizona State for physics undergrad?

In summary, the conversation is about an international transfer student who is considering applying to UW Madison, Arizona State, and Oregon State. Their first choice is Madison, but they are also considering the other two if they are not accepted. The student is unsure which school has a better physics program, as rankings put Oregon State higher but they have heard good things about ASU. They ask for insight into which college they should consider, and jokingly asks about the preferred mascot. The other person mentions that the rankings are nearly identical and suggests considering the geography and city life of each school. ASU is located in a warm, larger city while OSU is in a more rural town with more rain. They suggest geography as a potential measure since the rankings
popvt
I'm an international transfer student applying for UW Madison, Arizona State and Oregon State. My first choice would be Madison, but if I'm not accepted there, I'm going to one of the other two.

The problem is, I'm not sure which has a better physics program. The rankings put Oregon state higher, but I hear good things about ASU too. Could you guys offer any insight into which college I should consider?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which mascot do you like better? jk! Besides ranking what else do you know about the schools? Madison is a great choice, hope you get accepted!

popvt said:
The rankings put Oregon state higher
Which rankings?

Neither of these schools are significantly better than the other. However, the geography and city life of each is vastly different. ASU is warm year round and in a larger city. OSU sees more rain and is in a rural town: Corvallis. Since the rankings are nearly identical, maybe geography isn't the worst measure?

1. What are the differences between the physics programs at Oregon State and Arizona State?

The physics programs at Oregon State and Arizona State have some similarities, but also some key differences. Oregon State has a larger physics department, with more faculty and research opportunities. Arizona State has a more interdisciplinary approach to physics, with a focus on collaborations with other departments. Additionally, Oregon State has a strong emphasis on hands-on learning through their undergraduate research program, while Arizona State has a strong online program for distance learning.

2. Which university has a better reputation for physics?

Both Oregon State and Arizona State have respectable reputations for their physics programs. Oregon State is often ranked higher in overall university rankings, but Arizona State's physics department has received recognition for its research and innovation. Ultimately, the reputation of a university should not be the sole factor in choosing a physics program; it is important to also consider personal fit and opportunities for growth.

3. What types of research opportunities are available at each university?

Both Oregon State and Arizona State offer a wide range of research opportunities for physics undergraduates. At Oregon State, students have the opportunity to work with faculty on projects in astrophysics, condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and more. Arizona State also has a variety of research areas, including biophysics, optical sciences, and nanoscience. Both universities also offer summer research programs and internships.

4. How do class sizes compare at Oregon State and Arizona State?

The class sizes at Oregon State and Arizona State may vary depending on the specific course and level. Generally, Oregon State has smaller class sizes, with an average of 20-30 students in upper division physics courses. Arizona State's class sizes tend to be larger, with an average of 50-60 students in upper division courses. However, both universities offer opportunities for smaller, more intimate learning experiences through seminars and research projects.

5. What are the job prospects for physics graduates from Oregon State and Arizona State?

Both Oregon State and Arizona State have strong physics programs that prepare students for a variety of career paths. Graduates from both universities have gone on to work in industries such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare, as well as pursuing graduate studies in physics and related fields. Both universities also have career services and resources to assist students in their job search and professional development.