Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organ Printing: Custom organs printed on demand

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-11/uouh-uou111105.php

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2
    I read about this in sciam, sounds really fantastic.

4. Dec 1, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is really cool stuff. One of my friends worked on stuff like that for her PhD project in biomedical engineering...building a matrix that would serve as a scaffold for tissue repair.

5. Feb 4, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Feb 4, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I remember seeing this a few years ago but kinda figured it wasn't a realistic idea.

I also remember seeing how they did the same thing with small plastic pieces and parts. The idea came about as a solution to the whole "throw-away" society we have. The solution was if one small part breaks, a large "printer" could basically do the same process here except with metals or plastics and create an exact replica of the part that was broken. Now that i think about it however, why not just call the company to order a replacement part....

7. Feb 5, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw the same thing with the plastic process. They were shooting for non-replacable items. Most parts can't be purchased separately anymore.

I have had customers who use the 3D printing for engineering applications. For one, this helps to prevent errors where complex designs are involved. The actual part can be build in plastic, or the form emailed to another printing location, to ensure that everything fits as indicated in the documentation.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?