Organ Printing: Custom organs printed on demand

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Printing
In summary: Another application is for medical implants. This is where the technology can be used to print a replica of the implant before it is implanted. This helps to ensure that there are no surprises and that the implant will function as intended.In summary, the bio-ink used in organ printing consists of cells and liquid hydrogel, which is dropped into a printer cartridge and then solidifies into layers. This technology has been used for printing 3-D structures that mimic blood vessels, and for printing medical implants.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Like any printing process, organ printing requires ink, paper, and printer.

The "bio-ink" consists of cells taken from an organ, such as a blood vessel or heart valve. The "bio-paper" is Prestwich's hydrogel. The printer can be a standard ink-jet model, modified to use a solution of cells and liquid hydrogel instead of ink, or one designed for using bio-ink.

The cells and liquid hydrogel are placed in the printer cartridge and then dropped in three-dimensional, 1-microliter dots that form layers as the hydrogel solidifies. After many layers have been made, the cells fuse into tissue that forms 3-D structures. The hydrogel is removed, and new healthy tissue is left to implant into a damaged or diseased organ.

"We already have printed 3-D structures that mimic blood vessels," Forgacs said. [continued]
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-11/uouh-uou111105.php

Biology news on Phys.org
This is really cool stuff. One of my friends worked on stuff like that for her PhD project in biomedical engineering...building a matrix that would serve as a scaffold for tissue repair.

I remember seeing this a few years ago but kinda figured it wasn't a realistic idea.

I also remember seeing how they did the same thing with small plastic pieces and parts. The idea came about as a solution to the whole "throw-away" society we have. The solution was if one small part breaks, a large "printer" could basically do the same process here except with metals or plastics and create an exact replica of the part that was broken. Now that i think about it however, why not just call the company to order a replacement part...

Pengwuino said:
I remember seeing this a few years ago but kinda figured it wasn't a realistic idea.

I also remember seeing how they did the same thing with small plastic pieces and parts. The idea came about as a solution to the whole "throw-away" society we have. The solution was if one small part breaks, a large "printer" could basically do the same process here except with metals or plastics and create an exact replica of the part that was broken. Now that i think about it however, why not just call the company to order a replacement part...

I saw the same thing with the plastic process. They were shooting for non-replacable items. Most parts can't be purchased separately anymore.

I have had customers who use the 3D printing for engineering applications. For one, this helps to prevent errors where complex designs are involved. The actual part can be build in plastic, or the form emailed to another printing location, to ensure that everything fits as indicated in the documentation.

Last edited:

FAQ: Organ Printing: Custom organs printed on demand

1. How does organ printing work?

Organ printing, also known as bioprinting, involves creating a three-dimensional structure of living cells using a specialized printer. The printer deposits layers of bioink, which contains living cells, growth factors, and other biomaterials, to build the desired organ structure.

2. Can any organ be printed?

Currently, organ printing technology is limited to simpler structures such as skin, blood vessels, and cartilage. However, researchers are working towards printing more complex organs like kidneys, hearts, and livers.

3. What are the benefits of organ printing?

Organ printing has the potential to revolutionize organ transplantation by providing a limitless supply of organs, reducing the need for organ donors, and eliminating the risk of organ rejection. It can also be used for drug testing and developing personalized medicine.

4. Is organ printing safe?

Organ printing is still in the early stages of development and more research is needed to ensure its safety and effectiveness. However, the use of a patient's own cells in the printing process reduces the risk of rejection and makes it a safer option compared to traditional organ transplantation.

5. When will organ printing be available for use?

It is difficult to predict when organ printing will become widely available for use. While some simpler structures are already being printed in labs, it will likely take several more years of research and development before more complex organs can be printed and used for transplantation.

Back