1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry: Reactivity levels

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    This is a general Organic Chemistry question. How do the reactivities of the following compare?

Acyl Chlorides, Esters, Anhydrides, Amides, Ketones, Aldehydes

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the following "ladder:"

MOST REACTIVE

acyl chloride
    anhydride
    ester
    amide

LEAST REACTIVE

I know also that aldehydes are more reactive than ketones. However, where do those two fit in according to the ladder layout?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well acetone is certainly less reactive than an amide.

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    It really depends what type of reaction you're considering. Simple nucleophilic addition to the carbonyl vs acyl substitution.

5. Apr 28, 2009 #4
    Well the reactions we've been doing have concerned creating amides, reducing them, and reactions with carboxylic acids. Mostly substitution/elimination stuff, I suppose. This also falls in line with Gabriel synthesis, Mannich reactions, etc.

Is there not just a general rule here?

6. Apr 28, 2009 #5
    Well, if you're considering a substitution at a carbonyl, or more specifically, a beta elimination driven by carbonyl reformation. It's a good idea to look at the Pka of the leaving groups.
    R- ~ 50
    NH2 ~ 35
    RO- ~ 16
    RCO2- ~ 5
    Cl- ~ -7

On the other hand, if you're just considering nucleophilic addition to the carbonyl, then electronic and steric effects are what you compare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook