Introductory (yet rigorous) Organic/Inorganic Chemistry book

In summary: Oxtoby integrates a lot of physics, including quantum mechanics, while McMurray focuses more on organic chemistry and its applications.
Ethan Singer
I'm a student in Pre-med looking to begin self-studying chemistry at a meticulous level. Since I've only recently graduated I haven't been too full on my course load, and I'm ready to change that immediately. However, as a student, I have no clue how I might choose great authors who give a comprehensive analysis of the subject, with poor ones who simply get you through exams.

Up until now, I've been using the following books to assist me with my studies:

Campbell's Biology: A foundation approach to the wonderful field. It's far from anything meticulous, but again it's supposed to give a general understanding of the subject. For a high-school textbook, it's served it's purpose beautifully.

Zhumdal Chemistry: Again, it's only a high-school book, so It doesn't intend to serve as the forerunner of the subject. This is one of the authors I'm unsure about: It's explanations for electro-chemistry and Kinematics in general just felt too simplistic: Like It was neglecting something.

So now that I'm ready to begin, I'm wondering: What books do you recommend for biochemistry and both organic/inorganic chemistry? I'm looking for calculus based books which provide a rich understanding of the subjects. My goal isn't to just pass exams, but to nurture a firm understanding of the subjects at a physical level. As for which books I'm looking at, I've had the following in mind:

For Biochemistry I've been using: Lehninger- However I'm using the fifth edition that was a free-PDF, and it's age seems to show in a few places. So far I'm not sure whether or not I can say it's a good book, as I've only begun simple reviews, and integration of concepts I'm already familiar with.

I've heard that for Organic/Inorganic chemistry, you would use Linus Pauling, but from what I've heard, the books on my level are more supplemental than comprehensive. Oxtoby or Atkins have been recommended to me, and I know that they're calculus based, so I'm leaning more towards them.

Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I liked McMurray and Fay for general chem and didn't mind McMurray's organic text inaddition to the text required for organic.

Charles Link said:
For chemistry I would recommend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201058332/?tag=pfamazon01-20 We used this book by this author (Mahan), probably an earlier edition, back in 1974 in a 3 quarter first year chemistry sequence and it is quite excellent.
Dr Transport said:
I liked McMurray and Fay for general chem and didn't mind McMurray's organic text inaddition to the text required for organic.

I appreciate your suggestions, but I'd like some insight regarding these authors: I want to purchase a hardcover, and would like to ensure that i purchase is of the highest quality.

Could you,, for istance, provide comparisons between the authors: what do their books integrate, and how do they convey their ideas: will they provide a comprehensive undertaking of the subject, or do they only show limitrd examples for the sake of tests? I've heard thst otoxby us in the realm of chemistry books, so as of this moment, I'm leaning towards him.

From what I've heard, his books include the following:
-integration of physics, including quantum mechanical aspects of chemostry
-Use of calculus both in chemistry and physics
Advanced explanations of a multitude of fields, including electrochemistry, chemical kinetics, etc.

As of now, I'm almost certsin I am going to choose oxtoby, i just wanted feedback.

Additional comment: Even though I'm a physicist, around 1990 I purchased Campbell's biology book and began reading it. It is extremely well written and a very good choice. :) ## \\ ## Editing: I need to make a correction to the above: The biology book that I purchased and read is by Arms and Camp=(close to Campbell, but not Campbell). Anyway, the Arms and Camp biology book is one that I would highly recommend.

Last edited:
Ethan Singer said:
Could you,, for istance, provide comparisons between the authors: what do their books integrate, and how do they convey their ideas: will they provide a comprehensive undertaking of the subject, or do they only show limitrd examples for the sake of tests? I've heard thst otoxby us in the realm of chemistry books, so as of this moment, I'm leaning towards him.

That is for you to decide, look at the TOC and Index.

What topics are typically covered in an introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book?

An introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book usually covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, periodic trends, nomenclature, functional groups, reaction mechanisms, and basic organic/inorganic reactions.

How is an introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book different from other chemistry books?

An introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book is typically more focused on the fundamental principles and concepts of organic and inorganic chemistry, while other chemistry books may cover a wider range of topics including physical and analytical chemistry.

Is an introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book suitable for beginners?

Yes, an introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book is designed for students who have little or no background in chemistry. It provides a solid foundation in the basics of organic and inorganic chemistry, making it suitable for beginners.

Are there any hands-on activities or experiments included in an introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book?

Some introductory organic/inorganic chemistry books may include hands-on activities or experiments to reinforce the concepts learned. However, most of the content is typically theoretical and may not require practical application.

What are the benefits of studying from an introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book?

Studying from an introductory organic/inorganic chemistry book can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in any scientific field. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in chemistry and related fields.