1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal change of basis preserves symmetry

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that symmetric and antisymmetric matrices remain symmetric and antisymmetric, respectively, under any orthogonal coordinate transformation (orthogonal change of basis):

Directly using the definitions of symmetric and antisymmetric matrices and using the orthogonal transformation rules without reference to components.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well If S is symmetric then Sij=Sji
    and for any u and v in the R space we have u.Sv=Transpose(S)u.v=Su.v
    and S under any change of basis would be S'=QSTranspose[Q]

but I don't know how to go further...I really appreciate if anyone can help me out with this...I just have a few hours left :(
    Thank you so much

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a coordinate-independent formulation of that, in terms of the transpose.

Apply that to S' to show that it is symmetric

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the response but I guess what you refer to requires using indices and Einstein Summation stuff .. I'm only supposed to use the definitions ... Maybe my formula Sij=Sji was misleading or maybe it was not...
    Could you be a little more specific please? Does that coordinate independent formula have a particular name or something? I can't figure out what you are referring to ...

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If Sij is the given matrix, then what is Sji called?
    You have already used it in your "attempt at a solution".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook